Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Newb preflop play, please help.

If that is so, then I guess my table selection method is all wrong, eh? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2005, 01:32 PM

Ah, you're right. I wasn't thinking ahead enough. Had hero raised preflop, villain could peel profitably on the flop getting 7:1 instead of 4:1. However, he'd still have to make a mistake on the turn to see the river.

Even so, as hero played it, he forced villain to make two pretty giant mistakes instead of one somewhat smaller one.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:34 PM

If you ask me, I'll tell you short handed play is exactly like full ring play, except that you're better able to exploit bad opponents.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This hand was obviously a bad beat, but I think it could have been avoided with a bit more aggressive play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it could have been avoided with more aggressive play. Micro-limit calling stations do what they do, and in the long run we make money off them. But sometimes they suck out on us.

As others have said, you played correctly and your opponent made expensive mistakes. Only this time he got lucky. In spite of what you may have heard, poker IS a gambling game.

If you keep playing the way you played this hand, and your opponent keeps playing the way he played this hand, you will win all of his money eventually. That doesn't mean that you will win every hand.

Don't stress over hands that you lose. Stress over hands that you play incorrectly (even if you win).
Old 08-17-2005, 05:24 PM

I haven't read any of the other posts about this hand so I'm not sure if it has been mentioned already.

A read on the river raiser would be nice. For instance - it would be nice to know if likes to bluff. If this is the case its a must call on the river. However, if he just another tourist, this is a must fold.

All you have here is top pair, and by the looks of it he either hit a strsight with 68 or he hit two pair. In either of these cases you are toast. So, everything is ok by me ( including the check from the BB) but definate river fold.

-Freddie