Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Question for Canada guys with Poker ONLY income who pay child sup

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a lawyer...

But, I think breaking the terms of the custody arrangement by not paying the agreed upon child support is grounds for amending the custody agreement and denying or restricting access.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting... I'd never considered that they might be in the same contract.

Like, can you pay more to get more time with the child? How about just buying the child outright? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Obviously I'm being sarcastic here, but legally the two issues seem separate.

If they're part of the same contract, though, that would be creepy...

I'm really really glad I've never had to deal with this sort of thing.

--Dave.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why this is so weird to some people. Providing financial support for your child is part of your parenting obligation. If you're not fulfilling your parenting obligation, then the court is going to restrict your right to act as the child's parent.

If you took the kid to a strip club every week, the judge might decide you're a bad parent and take away your visitation privileges, and everyone would understand that. So why is it so hard to understand that refusing to pay child support makes you a bad parent too?

As for the people who are saying "don't worry about it, they can't garnish your wages," the thing is that failing to pay child support results in a judgment against you. A judgment goes on your credit report and messes things up for you in lots of ways. The most common way to enforce a judgment is by garnishing wages, but the fact is that you can enforce it in a lot of other ways, including by seizing assets. It is very unlikely that you want to just ignore the proceeding and let a judgment be entered against you.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:48 PM

In most states it is unrelated in fact in Minnesota at least a parent denying access based on non-payment of support could be in trouble.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Question for Canada guys with Poker ONLY income who pay child support

One of the most frustrating things i deal with are judges who don't read and don't listen. I feel for you. Good luck.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In most states it is unrelated in fact in Minnesota at least a parent denying access based on non-payment of support could be in trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

A -parent- cannot unilaterally decide to deny access (because there is such a thing as following a court order) but the court most surely can cut off visitation based on non-payment of child support.