Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 10:47 PM

Default 50,000 hands @ 3/6(6max) please help!

I switched to 3/6 (6-max) on Party when the games were first made available. I was almost a 2BB/100 winner four-tabling at 3/6 full prior to that, but the fish appeared to immediately start playing the short-handed games and I figured moving to 3/6(6-max) was the best choice to groom me for an eventual move to 5/10(6-max) anyway. Cartman is a friend of mine so I have had plenty of postflop guidance during my nightmare transition. I have worked very hard on my game and I spend a lot of time reading this forum and books and also a great deal of time thinking about poker when I am not playing.

I realize that preflop I am very tight, but I was concerned that playing with the VPIP's and PFR's that most of the successful players around here use would get me into trouble with marginal hands because I had no previous short-handed experience. Perhaps I have sabotaged myself by not playing enough hands?

Cartman watched me play a 2,500 hand session earlier this week and said that my postflop play looked fine. I am very discouraged by the fact that I have now played over 50,000 hands and am actually in the negative.

I am extremely grateful for any advice, comments, speculations, etc. that any of you can provide.

Thanks,
Redbeard

Here are my stats:
____________________________Party 3/6(6-max)
Total Hands:________________ 56689
Vol Put $ in Pot:___________ 18.54
Vol Put $ in Pot from SB:___ 24.63
Folded SB To Steal:_________ 90.32
Folded BB To Steal:_________ 72.24
Att. To Steal Blinds:_______ 27.82
Won $ WSF%:_________________ 40.23
Amount Won:_________________ -1108.84
BB/100 Hands:_______________ -0.33
Went to SD%:________________ 30.63
Won $ at SD%:_______________ 54.66
PF Raise %:_________________ 13.07
Total Rake:_________________ 5766.00

Saw Flop All Hands:_________ 27.21
Saw Flop Not a Blind:_______ 16.70
Folded BB to Steal HU:______ 70.22

1st Action After PF Raise:
Raise:_______________________ 7.73
Bet:________________________ 60.82
Call:________________________ 5.64
Check:______________________ 7.80
Check/Raise:_________________ 0.40
Fold:________________________ 6.53
No Flop:____________________ 11.08

Aggression Factor:
Preflop:_____________________ 1.83
Flop:________________________ 2.97
Turn:________________________ 2.26
River:_______________________ 1.45
Total:_______________________ 2.12

Position:
_______VP$IP________BB Won per Hand____PFR%_________RFI%
Btn:__ 17.30________ 0.08 ___________15.37_________ 8.51
1:____ 20.80________ 0.07___________ 19.69________ 14.52
2:____ 15.08________ 0.09___________ 14.43________ 12.11
3:____ 13.62________ 0.09___________ 13.43_______ 13.43
BB:___ 16.71_______ -0.21___________ 6.35 ________0.01
SB:___ 24.63_______ -0.08___________ 9.92 ________4.36
Old 08-22-2005, 10:57 PM

Default Re: 50,000 hands @ 3/6(6max) please help!

It does look like your a bit too tight and not stealing enough or defending enough.

How many tables are you playing?
Old 08-22-2005, 11:03 PM

First off, you can play alot more hands. Do you ahve this hand chart?
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...=14&fpart=
It should bump you up to about 25% which is like 30% more hands! I think you're getting blinded away a lot.

I think you need to defend more in the BB. You're folding at greater than 70%, I think you should root around the archives for some blind defense threads. Basically, people are stealing with lesser values than you think, and thus you have more equity (and are giving up more equity when you fold) in the bb. Yeah, I just looked at the folded bb to steal heads up is the same which is costing you tons.

You seem to steal a fair amount, but its weird that your VPIP on the button is so low.

If cartman thinks you play decently well postflop I think fixing these preflop issues should add a ton of + ev to your game.

Hope this helps a little, don't have much else for you.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:05 PM

Try to get your VP$IP at around 20-21. You need to raise more preflop and defend your big blind more.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cartman watched me play a 2,500 hand session earlier this week and said that my postflop play looked fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know two other players who are beating the 3/6 (6-max) for at least 50K hands at a rate of around 3BB/100 and redbeard plays at least as well as they do.

[ QUOTE ]
Went to SD%:________________ 30.63

[/ QUOTE ]

When I originally looked at redbeard's stats, I thought that this must be the culprit. I suspected that there was some fundamental misunderstanding which was causing him to fold way too many hands postflop. I watched him play 2,500 hands and he played very solidly postflop. I certainly didn't think he was folding too much. To my astonishment, when we checked his PT stats at the end of the session his Went to SD% was exactly where it always is, around 30%.

Upon further investigation, I realized that he must be taking down lots of pots uncontested. This makes sense because I am sure his opponents view him (correctly so) as a much tighter preflop raiser than I am. But his Won$WhenSawFlop is around 40%, just like mine. His should actually be higher than mine I think because my VPIP is around 28 and his is only 18. Maybe the session I watched was just an aberration, but I think there is something that I am missing here as to an explanation of why this number is so low.

[ QUOTE ]
Vol Put $ in Pot:___________ 18.54

[/ QUOTE ]
The primary difference in his preflop strategy and mine is a substantially higher att to steal blind % as well as substantially higher VPIP in the blinds. But I don't think his tightness in the blinds would explain his low Went to SD%, right? If anything it would make it even lower.

<font color="blue">In light of the fact that he appears to play well enough postflop, do you guys think that he should just open up and play more loosely (say 25/15)?

Can anyone explain his low Went to SD %?</font>

Thanks,
Cartman
Old 08-22-2005, 11:18 PM

Loosen up in the blind and cutoff. Defend your BB a bot more especially heads up. Those would be the major things I would look at 1st.

Other things that might be a problem. Value bet a more your, river aggression is a little low. turn aggression is also low along with not getting to show down enough. When you have raised PF and you have position and haven't heard from anybody fire again on the turn unimproved(but not always). You are more then likely undervalueing your hands. Make the adjustments slow and understand each one. You are not the far away.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:22 PM

I play about the same number of hands as you do in EP, but about 5% more in the CO and button. I don't think you are taking advantage of position enough. You only have a VP$IP of 17 on the botton. I think I play really tight and I am around 25.

You also almost never limp. You almost never limp UTG or MP and that is generally good, but you never limp in late position either. There is nothing wrong with limping after a couple of bad limpers with some hands.

How many tables do you play? If it is 4, try cutting down to 2 for a while and really focus on reading the players and hand reading.

How actively do you practive game selection? This could probably explain a lot of it.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone explain his low Went to SD %

[/ QUOTE ]

Low turn aggression causes more donk bets on the river and he is having to fold his KT unimproved.
Instead of betting the turn after his PFR he is checking it through and getting bluffed on the river.

Just an idea.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:29 PM

I dont' know much about short handed stats...is this range good?

[ QUOTE ]
Won $ WSF%:_________________ 40.23

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-22-2005, 11:39 PM

I think playing 18/13 on the 3/6 6max is paramount to being a 13/6 at a full table. For now these games are loose and aggressive, and stealing and isolation are key. I have played just under 60k hands at 27/20. I think your WtSD may be so low because you are not getting into enough steal and isolation scenarios, and may be getting stuck with a lot of marginal holdings that correctly fold in multiway pots, where they might profitably see a showdown HU.