Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2004, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Folding AKo PF

I like your fold here. I guess I'm "weak-tight". I'm definitely extremely tight at this stage of the tourney. Certainly I would call or even push at a later stage but playing against a raiser and a reraiser with AK seems like a generally bad idea so early in the tournament. If you call, what is your plan if the original raiser pushes preflop? A greater worry is the reraiser. I think typically it will be unlikely that the reraiser has a hand that AK dominates. At best it is a lower pocket-pair that you are a slight dog to, at worst KK or AA and if the flop "hits" you, you will get sucked in and lose everything. I fold here and wait for the next good hand. There will be more opportunities to build your stack at less risk.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:43 PM

In early rounds when I'm not in any trouble, I don't like to go All-in without KK or AA.

(But when I do have them I like to try to induce people to go all in. Best I can explain that is, I play AA as if I really have something like AQ)
Old 06-16-2004, 05:46 PM

i think calling is not right here so it is either all in or fold. it is early and you dont want to go out of the tourney early. usually a reraise by a good player is at least QQ but many players at these levels and these blinds will reraise with less than that. if he is reraising with less than that well at least you might find out if there is a showdown and play accordingly. i would tend to go all in here against most opponents but it is OK to fold here.

Pat
Old 06-16-2004, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The implications of the "10% rule" are that if someone raises to T90 on the first hand of the tourney, your only choices are all-in or fold, because a call would be over 10% of your stack. That strikes me as a bit silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it silly? Work out the math and you need about 10:1 to flop a set that isn't beat and continue with the hand. If you're calling 20% you're going through your stack twice to double up once.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is also silly to think about flopping a set with AKo.

I have no problem with the idea that you need 10-1 implied odds to call with a small pocket pair. But that's obviously not what the original poster was talking about when he brought up the 10% rule. This post is about AKo.