Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 03:58 PM

Default 99 in the SB, overpair to the board

Villain is 27/9. BB is 55/2.6, so I expect him to come along, giving me enough to call the preflop raise.

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Villain has a fairly wide range of hands he would have raised with preflop, but only pairs bigger than mine have me beat here. The board shouldn't have helped him, but from his perspective, it might have helped me.

He didn't cap, and now I'm stumped. Do I just check/call it down, or assume he had something like AK, now I'm ahead, and keep betting?

Even if I'm not ahead, I have outs, so I take another shot.

Turn: (7 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Did my 3-bet on the turn put him into call-down mode with a slightly bigger pair?

River: (9 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB
Old 12-11-2005, 04:29 PM

Default Re: 99 in the SB, overpair to the board

I likey.

IMO. The chance of having the PFR fold the CO is worth a bet on the flop rather than a c/r.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:55 PM

I 3bet this PF. You have a very nice hand, but you want to play it with as few people as possible. The BB had great odds to make a call here. Reraising drives him out, and you take control of the action.

The way you played it postflop is fine. He didn't raise the turn, and so likely only has high cards. You're good a high percentage of the time, so relentlessly valuebet this river.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:05 PM

I think you played it fine. I dont think villian would have slowed down with something like AA or KK. When the Q hits on the turn and he calls, I think we can rule out QQ as well. I like it.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:26 PM

I like how you played this, but this is the most confusing thing i've ever read:

[ QUOTE ]
He didn't cap, and now I'm stumped. Do I just check/call it down

[/ QUOTE ]

"Villain stopped raising, so does that mean i should stop betting?" Wtf, dude [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 12-11-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I 3bet this PF. You have a very nice hand, but you want to play it with as few people as possible. The BB had great odds to make a call here. Reraising drives him out, and you take control of the action.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about this as well. 99 shines against few opponents or against many opponents (when we get overlay to try and hit our set). 3 opponents isn't exactly ideal.

However, we have to play OOP for the rest of the hand, and BB is so loose that he might call anyway. Plus, forgoing our small equity edge before the flop puts us in a better position to play after the flop. In this case, it lets us check/raise the flop to protect our hand.

So it's close, but i prefer calling.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like how you played this, but this is the most confusing thing i've ever read:

[ QUOTE ]
He didn't cap, and now I'm stumped. Do I just check/call it down

[/ QUOTE ]

"Villain stopped raising, so does that mean i should stop betting?" Wtf, dude [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]
Many times in this situation, villain has me beat but my 3-bet makes just makes him slow down. I'm still beat.

If the situation is reversed, I have a slightly bigger pocket pair than villain, he 3-bets, I suspect a set, I slow down.

That's what I meant.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:03 PM

This first sentence is reserved for a now-cliche 99 joke.

I'm not 3-betting this preflop out of position. I also don't bet the river--is a worse hand calling you?