Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 03:43 AM

Default AKs, big pot

I've been on a horrible downswing, and after a lot of advice from a lot of people, including the Noted Poker Authority himself, have determined that it was a combination of several small leaks greatly magnified by variance. So I cut back to two tables and I'm getting back to basics. I'm going to post several hands from one session before playing again. Feel free to rip.

SB is 50/10, not many hands, but that's probably close.
UTG+2 is 92.4/2.0 and the table coaches are giving him hell.
MP1 is 24/7 over a lot of hands.

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, UTG+2 calls.

This has to be standard, for me at least, and the donks.

Flop: (17 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, UTG+2 calls.

MP1 probably has big cards, so this is a very good flop for me. The donks can have anything, so I'm not really worried about them at the moment. MP1's raise is consistent with big cards, but even with his raise I have 10.5:1, so I call.

I don't want to 3-bet here do I? I'm probably not going to push MP1 off a big pair, and I'm not going to push out the donks no matter what, and I'm still on a draw, so I want callers, not folders.

Turn: (12.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

SB loses his nerve, and now maybe MP1 doesn't have a big pair. Maybe AK but I got the spades and now he's done.

But I still don't have a hand, and who knows what the donks have, so I check. I don't want to bet here, do I? Again, the donks aren't going to fold, and I'm still on a draw. A very good one, but a draw.

River: (12.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, Hero ?

Can I lay this down for one bet? The only hand I was worried about folded, but either of the two donks can have a crummy little pair, so I doubt ace high is going to win.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:47 AM

Default Re: AKs, big pot

Fold river. I'm guessing SB checked because MP1 took the lead, but then MP1 decided a free card would be nice since he had one of many draws available, all of which missed. SB probably has some little pair. If SB doesn't, I guess UTG+2 is a fish, but I'm guessing he's not calling the river bet without a pair.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:48 AM

I prob 3bet the flop

and I fold the river, I'd consider a call if I wasn't overcalling
Old 12-11-2005, 03:50 AM

3 bet the flop...

Overcalling w/ A-high is silly, regardless of the potsize
Old 12-11-2005, 03:51 AM

i put SB on a mid PP, most likely 99 or 88.

provided you fold the river, overall nh
Old 12-11-2005, 03:53 AM

I'm going to take a guess and say that the noted poker authority looked at some of your hands and concluded that you went nuts with draws too often in some wrong spots and now you're overcompensating. This is a good place to play a monster draw aggressively. I would fold the river because SB is lacking a 7 or 8 less than once in 13 times.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i put SB on a mid PP, most likely 99 or 88.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt this very much.

[ QUOTE ]
SB is 50/10

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-11-2005, 04:05 AM

Actually, he said to raise more preflop. Not a problem with this hand.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:53 AM

I like a flop 3-bet. The bettor and raiser certainly aren't folding, and UTG+2 already called once, so he'll probably stick around in this monster pot. With 3 callers, 9 outs to the nuts, and ~3 outs for your overcards, you have a nice equity edge. Exploit it by raising.

You can't overcall with A-high on the river.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:58 AM

Your biggest leak here is not 3-betting the flop. Not so much in the context of this hand, but in your perspective of the game as a whole. There are essentially 4 things that it does for you:

1) It makes you tougher to play against
2) It gets value
3) It might get a free card
4) It probably increases your implied odds

This is essentially why we play the game right here.