Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Why can\'t we change seats online?

They go out of their way to make online games look and play as much like live as possible, so why can't we change seats?

The first time I played online I tried to drag myself to an empty seat, assuming it would work. It seemed so obvious to me. Now that I have PokerAce, I really, really want to do it.

It would be a very simple matter, first player to click on an empty seat gets it reserved ahead of any new players coming in. Move the next hand, just like live. Handle posting just like live.

The ability to do this would be ++++EV.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Why can\'t we change seats online?

[ QUOTE ]
They go out of their way to make online games look and play as much like live as possible, so why can't we change seats?

The first time I played online I tried to drag myself to an empty seat, assuming it would work. It seemed so obvious to me. Now that I have PokerAce, I really, really want to do it.

It would be a very simple matter, first player to click on an empty seat gets it reserved ahead of any new players coming in. Move the next hand, just like live. Handle posting just like live.

The ability to do this would be ++++EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would wreak havoc in games with 9 players. Someone would be wanting to change seats constantly, and since the players get a head start in the line, no one would be able to take the 10th seat.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This would wreak havoc in games with 9 players. Someone would be wanting to change seats constantly, and since the players get a head start in the line, no one would be able to take the 10th seat.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure they would, just like live. New player walks up, dealer says that guy's moving to that seat. You take his. Online it happens a lot faster.

It would favor players already at the table instead of new ones, just like live. Instead of a new player taking a good seat, it would go to a player who has worked the table for awhile, just like live.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would be a very simple matter

[/ QUOTE ]Right. I agree that this would be a nice feature. I'd also like it if, from the lobby, I could join a waitlist on a table that currently has 9 players. (That bug's been in Party for a couple years.)

I dare you to write an email to Party. I'm sure they'll "forward it to their support staff". [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
-Sam
Old 11-24-2005, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd also like it if, from the lobby, I could join a waitlist on a table that currently has 9 players. (That bug's been in Party for a couple years.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Excuse my ignorance, but why wouldn't you just join the table (as opposed to the wait list)?
Old 11-24-2005, 06:55 PM

I believe I've seen someone post an argument about how it would intimidate the fishies. How is some terrible player going to feel if all of a sudden he realizes everyone keeps swithching to the seat next to him when it opens up?

Of course this would mean you have to assume the fish knows ANYTHING about seat selection and is not too drunk to notice that everyone moves beside him. This may be too big of an assumption.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would htis be so hard to do? True Poker has this feature already. I actually like it quite a bit.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe I've seen someone post an argument about how it would intimidate the fishies. How is some terrible player going to feel if all of a sudden he realizes everyone keeps swithching to the seat next to him when it opens up?

[/ QUOTE ]
Again, same way it works live. Someone gets up, a player tosses a chip across the table and says "I think I'll try the lucky seat," "That seat's been catching cards all night," or anything other than "I want the seat to the left of the huge fish."

The fish will never know the difference, or care.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd also like it if, from the lobby, I could join a waitlist on a table that currently has 9 players.

[/ QUOTE ]Excuse my ignorance, but why wouldn't you just join the table (as opposed to the wait list)?

[/ QUOTE ]If a table has 5 people in the waitlist but 9 currently sitting, you can't join the table (there are 5 in the waitlist), but if you push the waitlist button, it only gives you the option of joining the general list, not the specific table (you can't join the list. There's a "free" seat.) This is fixed by opening the table and joining from there. It's slower, though.
-Sam
Old 11-24-2005, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Someone gets up, a player tosses a chip across the table and says "I think I'll try the lucky seat," "That seat's been catching cards all night,"

[/ QUOTE ]Keep in mind, bad players change seats all the time, too. They're obviously not changing to get better position; they play crummy poker anyway. They're changing for the reasons you listed above, except they actually believe them.

I always figured this was why you could change the deck color on Party skins. It's to "request a new setup". [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
-Sam