Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 08:29 PM

Default Percentage of hands won

Some sites show the percentage, or number, of hands won. While bored and folding I sometimes look at this and wonder if I should be winning 10% of the time. Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference in the amount won.

If no one ever folded, obviously 10% (in a 10-handed game) would be the norm. As we all know, however, the goal is to win money, not pots, so would a good player win fewer than 10% of the pots since he folds junk hands, while winning more money? And would a bad player win more than 10% of the pots by sucking out with his junk hands, or picking up low-money pots when good players fold?
Old 11-15-2005, 08:57 PM

Default Re: Percentage of hands won

A player determined to showdown every hand no matter what would win significantly more than 10%. Like you said if EVERYONE showed down every hand then everyone would win exactly 10% of their hands in the long run.

But considering most people know to fold hopeless hands, if you had 1 guy doing this at the table I'm guessing he would win close to 30%+ of the hands dealt, as most showdowns are heads up or 3 way he would be winning alot of hands and extracting the maximum % chance of winning with each one.

I'm guessing this person would also bust extremely quickly.

I hover around 7-8% of hands won and this is clsoe to the 10% expected.

My 7-8 is a combination of 2 number, the hands I was destined to win anyway of the 10 and hands I won that I would not have due to my play (aka I raise with AK, a guy with 75o folds properly and the flop is 775, I go on to win the pot).
Old 11-15-2005, 09:41 PM

Default Re: Percentage of hands won

no, you shouldn't win 10% of hands dealt, because you play tighter than most. this will be compensated for by the fact that you'll win a higher percentage of times you do play, but not enough.

but, try and win chips instead of pots. they count for more in your final score, which is good if you want to get to the secret cow level after you beat the final boss.