Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 03:30 PM

Default How much to check-raise, when the post-flop bettor doesn\'t bet enough?

I don't have a specific hand history... just an example.

Hero & Villain have about the same stack size.
Villain (MP) raises 3xBB, Hero (BB) puts MP on AK and calls with 88.
Flop comes K82.
Hero checks, planning to check raise, Villain bets 1/4-1/3 the pot.

Here is my dilemma... I was hoping he would bet out the pot or 3/4 or something like that, so when I check-raised him he would be committed. Now if I check raise the pot, it will blow him off the hand, and if I check raise the minimum, it will reveal my hand and give him really cheap odds if he actually had something like AA or QQ, and not AK.

The best I can think of is to push, making it look like a bluff and hope he calls all-in (and doesn't have a set of Kings).

What's a good amount to check-raise in this case?

I also have this same problem when trying to limp-reraise with AA UTG. Somebody around back will raise the minimum, and I'll be stuck trying to decide how much to reraise.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:48 PM

Default Re: How much to check-raise, when the post-flop bettor doesn\'t bet eno

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have a specific hand history... just an example.

Hero & Villain have about the same stack size.
Villain (MP) raises 3xBB, Hero (BB) puts MP on AK and calls with 88.
Flop comes K82.
Hero checks, planning to check raise, Villain bets 1/4-1/3 the pot.

Here is my dilemma... I was hoping he would bet out the pot or 3/4 or something like that, so when I check-raised him he would be committed. Now if I check raise the pot, it will blow him off the hand, and if I check raise the minimum, it will reveal my hand and give him really cheap odds if he actually had something like AA or QQ, and not AK.

The best I can think of is to push, making it look like a bluff and hope he calls all-in (and doesn't have a set of Kings).

What's a good amount to check-raise in this case?

I also have this same problem when trying to limp-reraise with AA UTG. Somebody around back will raise the minimum, and I'll be stuck trying to decide how much to reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you trying to check-raise in this situation?

-Todd
Old 08-07-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Re: How much to check-raise, when the post-flop bettor doesn\'t bet eno

Yea, you have a set of 8s and do not need to checkraise. I do not think I would in this spot. Your push might work, but it also might knock him off a hand where you could win big, it depends on his play. As for raising limpers after limping in, there is a good post by Daliman in the STT section about reraising, and his rule of thumb goes as follows. "3xBB + 2x the number of limpers." So if there are 4 limpers calling a BB of 20, it would be 3xBB(20)+ 2(4)x20 = 220. Thats a good formula for reraising limpers with KK and AA.