Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 02:36 PM

Default Ace on the flop

I am completely baffled by an ace on the flop. All donks play all aces all the time, so when one hits the flop I often feel I should just open fold and be done with it.

But that seems rather weak, so I try to play some hands. After all, they can't always have an ace, and many times I've folded and then watched calling stations call all the way to the river, turn over bottom pair, and pick up the pot. There must be some middle ground.

UTG+1 is 31/0. UTG+2 just sat down, so no stats and no reads. Button plays every hand.

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, Button checks.

No way I'm betting into an ace on the flop. If UTG+2 has one, surely he'll bet it here.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, Button calls.

No bet from UTG+2, so what would he have raised preflop that didn't have an ace? Big suited cards, 99, hopefully not TT. So I bet. If he was slowplaying, now's the time to raise, but he doesn't.

River: (8.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero ?

Bet again and give him a chance to raise if he was slowplaying an ace, or just try to get to a cheap showdown?
Old 12-11-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Ace on the flop

I think I check call if it's one back to me. UTG+2 could have KQ, KJ, JTs, 99-77. With the flop check and the turn call, I would open his raising hand range a little bit. I like the turn bet on the paired board.

Love to see more replies.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:28 PM

Bet and give other T's a chance to fold.

I fold to a raise.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am completely baffled by an ace on the flop. All donks play all aces all the time, so when one hits the flop I often feel I should just open fold and be done with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mentally this is where I was Friday night. Took some bad beats and went totally passive. What a costly Tilt.

This hand I'd fold pre-flop on a loose table. Go into play in early position with only premium hands. Your sucking for information on the later streets. If your going to play the hand then raise/bet the flop. My experience is that they'll get scared of the aggression (leaving you with the holder of the A, so at least you know where you stand) or they'll call you down with anything and your going to a show down no matter what you do, which means you can slow down on the turn and river unless you get the nuts.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:13 PM

I fold this preflop UTG, but limping isn't too bad (especially at a loose-passive table, as this clearly is).

I would check the river and re-evaluate, although i think Kwaz's bet/fold line might be better.

I like the turn bet.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This hand I'd fold pre-flop on a loose table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? This is precisely the hand you DO call on a loose table! That being said, loose table or not, I don't like our position with this hand and always fold UTG.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet and give other T's a chance to fold.

I fold to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another T isn't folding here getting a lot to 1 to draw to 2 pair.

I don't mind a check/call on the flop if it's one back to me, and I bet/fold the turn as I suspect a slowplay. When they all call I think we're screwed by the river--it's awfully unlikely that they're all on busted flush draws. No way am I betting out, and while Pot Is Big is the mantra I suspect it's still -EV here--I'm not overcalling either.

Also, limping this UTG is fine.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:18 PM

*grunch*

preflop - good

flop - were you planning on a check-raise. You can't protect the pot here, but you don't want to give any draws a free card.

turn - good

river - bet/fold You have seen NO resistance yet other than PF. If you get re-raised, mabye it was a slowplay or he managed to make a hand on the river.

Crovax
Old 12-11-2005, 10:25 PM

I'm betting/calling the flop unless it's two back. Depending on the turn &amp; # of opponents, I'll bet/fold or check/call the turn.

Not trying to get value out of middle pair with 2nd kicker in a pot that large hurts