Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 10:17 AM

Default QT final four against a big and short stack

Small micro-stakes live tourney, started out as 15 players on two tables. Down to 4 players, one table. I'm the lone survivor from my table; the other 3 players are from the other table. Top 4 paid: 35/15/10/5.

Blinds are T20/40. UTG is a huge chip stack that has the entire table covered. He's been playing aggressively (mostly heads-up since the table's been short for most of the time that I've played with him) -- he'll raise with bottom pair hands on the river, etc. He's also pretty loose heads-up. Multi-way he'll lay down if many people seem interested -- I've seen him fold numerous times with bet and a call in front of him, while he'll happily call a bet and many folds. UTG limps.

Button folds. SB looks down at her short stack of T12 remaining and completes all-in to T32.

About 3 orbits ago I was the short-stack after having lost a big hand with top pair against a set. I've taken down 3 or 4 blinds preflop with all-in raises when no one else has yet entered the pot, culminating in the last hand I was involved in where I pushed preflop with 79s and was called and sucked out on KJo. So people are aware that my raising requirements are fairly loose short-stacked, at least first in.

I look down and see QTo. In addition to my blind money, I have perhaps T220 remaining. Button (not in the hand) has probably T200. Big stack has ~T700. What's my move?
Old 11-05-2005, 10:19 AM

Default Re: QT final four against a big and short stack

With your description, I wouldn't be surprised if UTG is trying to trap you. I would check.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:41 AM

Yeah I'm taking a flop here. It's not like QT is a monster and, as durron said, an aggressive, always raising player limping should seem suspicious (provided he's been aggressive preflop as well as postflop). Your only other move is all in, and I don't think this is necessarily where you want it. I would rather be open pushing with any two from the SB than making this push once the aggressive, giant chip leader called.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:44 AM

Not that it would matter. Even if you were fairly certain there was no trapping going on I'd still check. You don't want to blow him out of the water with a raise and go HU against a guy you'd like to knock out holding a marginal hand...and if you raise and he calls, then it really sucks for you.