Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2003, 03:56 PM

Default Trying to Limit the field when I floped middle set

EP person limped with a few others, I was 2 off the button with 7d7h and called, the button raised, 5 people saw the flop for 2 bets each.

Flop is 6s7c8s

EP bets again 2 callers and person to my right raises. If just facing one bet I was planning on calling and waiting to see what the next card was before raising the turn. To my suprise the person to my left raised so I re-raised trying to get out some of the other people because the pot was getting big. The button folded but the 3 orginal callers all called the additional 2 bets cold.

Turn card was 9d [6s7c8s]. Now I figured someone must have a straight but the pot was so huge. First position bets out, 2 callers and a raise. I cold-call 2 bets. I figured the pot was big enough now that if I got a 6,7,8 or 9 on the turn I would have a full house and extract extra bets from the straights. Someone might have been on a flush draw with the original 2 spades still so a spade on the river could give someone a flush. It is ever correct to fold for 2 bets cold on the turn in this situation against an obvious straight? Turn card was a Q. Middle position bet 2 called I folded and early position called.

any comments? Specifically should I ever give up my set in this situation against 2 bets cold on the river? and people to still act behind me?

Also what about my re-raise on the flop? Should I wait to see the turn card if it's a 3rd to a flush or a scary straight card before raising?

Old 05-14-2003, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Trying to Limit the field when I floped middle set

I think you played it fine. With most players, you won't lose anyone with a 9 or flush draw but you might cause someone with a 10 or 5 to fold, buying you a few more safe cards. With the action on the turn, a call is fine hoping to fill up. On the river, with a bet and 2 callers, the pot is big put you are probably beat. If it was headsup a call is a must, but with that many still in, you are beat. However, if you were to call it wouldn't be a crime.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:15 PM

Here's some thoughts:

Preflop: Initial limp is OK, but a raise is also good. I'd sure like that button in a multiway pot with a medium pair. This is probably worth any loss of implied odds that locking out a possible player would get you. Once the button raises, and everyone calls, you could considder reraising, hoping that the button 4 bets, thus knocking out riffraff. This can't be bad for your hand. If everyone calls, then this is also fine, since you have a hand that can hit big.

Flop: Speaking of hitting big, you did. With so many draws out, you're gonna get action from any kind of draw, all of which are out already since there were so many limpers. Your job is to get as much money in the pot as possible. Even if somebody shows 9T, you still gotta cap it cause you're gonna fill up about 1 in 3. You have the best hand and the best draw. Unless, of course, the button has 88. That would just be a bummer, man. I'm not exactly sure how the betting and raising went down from your post, but keep betting/raising until the dealer tells you to stop.

Turn: You are now drawing. It's unlikely that anyone has 99, because the button folded. You asked "It is ever correct to fold for 2 bets cold on the turn in this situation against an obvious straight?" The answer is NO! In fact, you should determine if you should be raising. Let's count the "outs" you have (assuming nobody has 88, which we'll ignore): You have 1 7, 3 6's, 3 8's, 3 9's. Looks like 10 outs. I realize that many of these cards are likely out, but you also have a chance to chop the river if a T or even a 5 comes off. This is another reason to raise. There's so much dead money in the pot, that driving out 1 player could be so lucrative if a T peels off the deck (I don't think that JT is out, though J9 may be, but you've still gotta call the river). Even with 6 full house/quad outs, I think you need to raise the turn here.

River: I guess this was the Q. It sounds like there's one person left to act (who checked to begin the action). He's not likely gonna checkraise with all the action already happening in this hand. He's trying to get a crying call, which he did. You shouldn't fold here when it's 1 bet to you and you're basically last to act, IMO, cause you never know what people are doing when the pot gets ginormo.

These are all just my opinions, but I'm Just Another Sucker.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:16 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

if you fold this on the turn, you should have your hands chopped off. you couldnt pry me off those cards with a capped pot coming at me. though i would be leary with a cap.

here's the thing about the flop. lots of draws out. they will put you on a wide variety of hands here. youre not knocking out any solid draws. soooo...pump your own draw.

"It is ever correct to fold for 2 bets cold on the turn in this situation against an obvious straight? "

see first statement above. there are times when, if you have enough players in, you know your behind to say, a str8, and you still have odds to pump the pot. even though youre behind.

"Specifically should I ever give up my set in this situation against 2 bets cold on the river? "

what will these players bet with on a board like this. if you think you need to hit your hand to win, and you miss, you fold. BUT if in doubt, go ahead and call. but isnt it obvious? or will both these players bet the river here without the str8? a T looks like it plays here. and 2 players may have it.

but pump those sets. especially with all the players in.

b