Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2005, 02:35 PM

Default 20-40 hand

Here's a hand i played in the 20-40 game last night, feel free to flame away. Pretty soft line up with only 2 solid players me being one. 2 players limp and i raise in middle position with QQ and get three more callers. 6 of us to the flop with (12sb) in the pot.

Flop J 10 7 rainbow. BB and sb check, utg bets,next guy calls,i call,guy behind me calls,both blinds muck and we go to turn with (8bb) in the pot.The turn is J 10 7 6 and utg bets,next guy mucks and i raise. The guy behind me thinks for awhile and mucks and utg reraises,now what? Ice
Old 01-14-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Re: 20-40 hand

Raise the flop to define your hand. Not strong enough to slowplay obviously. Can't see the 6 helping (call me Capt. Obvious). Call turn.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:55 PM

Ice,

If you believe that raising the flop will narrow the field down to 3 of you then I would have done so. But if it won't then I like calling here.

Given that you just called the flop bet I like your turn raise. After UTG 3-bets I think you should call. A likely hand for UTG is JT and you're getting the right pot odds to call [note: it would be helpful to know if UTG is the type who would open-raise with JJ or TT preflop; this would help narrow down the hand he may have].

-- Manzanita
Old 01-15-2005, 11:25 AM

Hi guys

The raiser utg was a bad player and i should have said that in my post. I called the turn raise and the river was
J 10 7 6 J.He checked the river and i checked right behind and he showed me the 89 for the straight.

I did not raise the flop due to the size of the pot and the texture of the board. I waited for a safe turn card and when the 6 came i did not feel that helped anybody so i raised.Many times with a co-ordinated board and a decent size pot i wait until the turn to try and thin the field. Thanks for your comments. Ice
Old 01-15-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I did not raise the flop due to the size of the pot and the texture of the board. I waited for a safe turn card and when the 6 came i did not feel that helped anybody so i raised.Many times with a co-ordinated board and a decent size pot i wait until the turn to try and thin the field. Thanks for your comments. Ice

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem is that with this board and your holding, close to half the deck is composed of potentially dangerous cards. Do you really want that guy with A3 calling one SB and hitting his A on the turn for cheap? If he's going to call, then at least make him pay double. What I'm trying to say is that I would raise this flop pretty much every time.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:04 PM

Nightwish

The problem with raising in this spot is it is very difficult to get people out on the flop therefore, i'm passing up a small edge on the flop to TRY and get a bigger edge on the turn. Any 2,3,4,5,6, and maybe even a 7 are good cards for me. Granted if an A comes i'm not happy but the Ax would still have had to call one bet on the flop.So it's a gamble but co-ordinated boards in big pots ,i think your focus should be how are you going to win it, not i have the best hand so i bet. Limit holdem creates tricky situations IMO. Ice