Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 01:56 AM

Default Re: So I just lost 30K......

[ QUOTE ]

He believes he has proven that he has an edge in a game in which he has lost money overall.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement is false.

Just to let you know, I have not played 10K hands of NL2000, but 35K, which is not the long run, obviously. I was not taking a shot by any means. I am not down in this game like some of you think... As I recall KKF's winrate was only about 3, so I don't think I can be doing that badly given the fact that I have been on a wicked downswing for 1/3 the hands at this limit.

One thing that is true is that I should have gone back to NL1000 when my BR hit 20-25K, but hey, after losing that much I was not thinking clearly. I realize this was a mistake. I know what bankroll management is, just failed to stay disciplined.

I guess this graph of my all time NL1K, 2K stats proves I am just lucky though...

-Jon
Old 11-17-2005, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in regards to the OP, you are probably losing b/c I just started multitabling the party 10/20 NL...watch out jerks I'm on the loose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I just saw you come up to the 2K's, right after I had to drop. I'll see you up there soon hopefully. How are you doing so far?
Old 11-17-2005, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I didnt want to waste my time or anyone elses with boring 2 outers all in on the flop. This was bad luck, not tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you truly being honest with yourself? I'm not mocking you or trying to be an ass, I'm trying to be helpful. We've all had swings, some larger than others, when we truly were playing well, yet kept losing session after session; that really does happen. However, there is not a player alive that can honestly say tilt didn't factor in. Just today I was playing in a full ring, made a healthy raise UTG with pocket kings, everyone folded to the BB who reraised me, I reraise him and he went in immediately. Based on that alone I was positive he didn't have aces so I called. My read was right, he turned over pocket tens, so, here I am, about to double up my stack as an eighty percent favorite. I about crapped myself when he spiked a ten on the river. My first reaction was immediately to reload and get my money back. Fortunately, a little voice inside my head told me, "don't do it" (my inner voice, although bilingual, speaks in Russian, so that's a rough translation). I played the hand right, I was just unlucky, and pissed. Had I rebought to recoup my loss, that would've been tilt. You telling me you never reloaded after something like that and lost more which contributed to your 30k downslide? You probably have, and with time, you'll realize that it's a long long road, one session doesn't mean excrement. I truly hope this helps.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Are you truly being honest with yourself? I'm not mocking you or trying to be an ass, I'm trying to be helpful. We've all had swings, some larger than others, when we truly were playing well, yet kept losing session after session; that really does happen. However, there is not a player alive that can honestly say tilt didn't factor in. Just today I was playing in a full ring, made a healthy raise UTG with pocket kings, everyone folded to the BB who reraised me, I reraise him and he went in immediately. Based on that alone I was positive he didn't have aces so I called. My read was right, he turned over pocket tens, so, here I am, about to double up my stack as an eighty percent favorite. I about crapped myself when he spiked a ten on the river. My first reaction was immediately to reload and get my money back. Fortunately, a little voice inside my head told me, "don't do it" (my inner voice, although bilingual, speaks in Russian, so that's a rough translation). I played the hand right, I was just unlucky, and pissed. Had I rebought to recoup my loss, that would've been tilt. You telling me you never reloaded after something like that and lost more which contributed to your 30k downslide? You probably have, and with time, you'll realize that it's a long long road, one session doesn't mean excrement. I truly hope this helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand how reloading after getting all-in with 80% equity and losing is tilt. It is only tilt if it starts to affect your play. I think this is what your were trying to say. Right?
Old 11-17-2005, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

He believes he has proven that he has an edge in a game in which he has lost money overall.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement is false.

Just to let you know, I have not played 10K hands of NL2000, but 35K, which is not the long run, obviously. I was not taking a shot by any means. I am not down in this game like some of you think... As I recall KKF's winrate was only about 3, so I don't think I can be doing that badly given the fact that I have been on a wicked downswing for 1/3 the hands at this limit.

One thing that is true is that I should have gone back to NL1000 when my BR hit 20-25K, but hey, after losing that much I was not thinking clearly. I realize this was a mistake. I know what bankroll management is, just failed to stay disciplined.

I guess this graph of my all time NL1K, 2K stats proves I am just lucky though...

-Jon

[/ QUOTE ]

How could you be up 60k and your bankroll is 8k? In your original post, you made it seem like you won this money and promptly lost it back. Where did the other 52k go?
-James
Old 11-17-2005, 05:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

How could you be up 60k and your bankroll is 8k? In your original post, you made it seem like you won this money and promptly lost it back. Where did the other 52k go?
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. How is this your "all time" stats graph?
Old 11-17-2005, 05:23 AM

He mentioned elsewhere in the thread that he put his winnings in the stock-market so it would be 'safe'.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
obviously. I was not taking a shot by any means.

[/ QUOTE ]

But on that short a bankroll 'taking a shot' would really be the only justification for playing that game.

Some people were just playing 'devils advocate' and arguing that it would be okay to play that high if you were just taking a shot (and a 'controlled one' at that).
But I just don't think there are many on here who will agree that you are appopriately bankrolled to make that your 'permanent' home.

[ QUOTE ]
I know what bankroll management is

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry....but the fact that you were NOT taking a shot at this game just proves that your assertion that you 'know what bankroll management is' just is not accurate.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:28 AM

Then it dosn't surprise me why you lost so much so fast. It was the reason why I wanted to reload. To get even. The idea that I was entitled because I had the best hand, etc. If you want to sit here and say that you did nothing wrong and the stars are lined up against you, that's you're choice. If you're not even willing for a moment to entertain the possibility that your actions contributed, that's your choice. In that case, however, I don't think you'll find the answers you need. You must be willing to be critical of yourelf, not just make post about bad luck. You even implied yourself that you were too stubborn to drop down a level. You don't post a single example of a hand, just that you lost to two-outers on the river, set over sets, flush over flushes, etc. Again, look at your hand selection. How did you bet those hands, etc. Anyhow, you're right, you didn't do anything wrong, online poker is rigged, don't forget.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:14 AM

Sorry if you misunderstood. I did NOT play perfectly, and don't claim that I did. I can remember some marginal calls I made with top pair, or calling a raise with trip kings although I knew he had the flush. It was just frustrating because even when I stayed level headed, I just couldn't win a hand.

So I would say tilt cost me a MAX of 5K in this swing. The other 25K is just some bad beats. People want to see them, so I will post a couple...

I feel like this thread has turned into me defending my play, which I am fine with, but orginally I was just seeing if this happened to anyone else and how they dealt with it.
I appreciate those who have actually posted something useful (Holdemkillah, edge, russianbear), not "You don't understand variance/you suck".