Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 02:20 PM

Default I\'m a fish every time I flop 99 w/gutshot HU

This one was too easy/hard/low-limit/full-ring for the HUSH guys, and it floated off of the second page with no responses about 8 hours ago. So I thought I'd crosspost it for my homies. I'm interested in everyone's opinions here because I think the way I played this hand is going to be hated much more here than over at HUSH.

edit: This is the fourth hand I've played with Villain.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
3 folds, Hero raises, 4 folds, BB 3-bets, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
BB bets, Hero raises, BB 3-bets, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
BB bets, Hero calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
BB bets, Hero...

So two questions:
1) Is the flop raise dumb?
2) Having made said dumb flop raise, is a river call dumb?
Old 08-29-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Re: I\'m a fish every time I flop 99 w/gutshot HU

YO REDD: READS? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] no, reads, he could be doing anything.

hate the flop raise if he is aggressive. you'll get 3 bet here a lot by KQ, AQ, AK and called down by hands that beat you that'll wait 'til more expensive streets to c/r.

all that to say: call/call/call down IMO.

edit: ack, poo! you edited your post to say you've only played 4 hands against the villain, so no reads....i still think i'll stick by my previous plan to call down until i see a scarier broadway card.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:28 PM

I don't hate the flop raise if the plan is to take a free card on the turn. Getting 3-bet blows, but I'd call there and on the turn too -- you've probably got 6 clean outs. You can discount the 9's by one if you think he might have JJ/TT, and you're still OK to call.

A river call looks unnecessary to me, unless you have a read that says this guy's really aggressive, and won't miss a bet with something like an unimproved AK. If he doesn't have at least AJ here I'd be pretty surprised (AA-TT) looks more likely).
Old 08-29-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
YO REDD: READS? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] no, reads, he could be doing anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, sorry, I forgot to add them in from the crosspost. But there's not much to add, see the edit. This guy's an unknown at this point.

[ QUOTE ]
all that to say: call/call/call down IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only problem with this is that if I am ahead I'm giving a worse hand with 10 outs cheap cards. Could this be a 'wait until the turn to raise' situation? Raise any non-broadway?
Old 08-29-2005, 02:39 PM

Yes and yes. And this is 9 handed so the HUSH guys probably ignored it because it was in the wrong forum.

-DeathDonkey
Old 08-29-2005, 02:40 PM

i don't think villain has JJ or TT. and i think i have to discount our 9s for the possibility of KQ and an aggressively played OESD + OCs.
i've become very cautious when trying a free card move unless i've seen villain willing to give it up first. i think it is too obvious and used too often.
overcards are definitely 3-betting this flop (IMO) to not only hope for their outs/straight to come in, but to represent a bigger hand than they have.

...obviously this is based on a read, but just how i think about it.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:40 PM

What an interesting hand!

If villain 3-bet preflop with AK or AQ, he also picked up a gut-shot draw to go with his overcards.

I would also have raised the flop, in case villain had bet with overcards. When villain 3-bet, I would imagine him to be more likely to have a higher pocket pair than you or trips.

However, I would also have called the flop 3-bet and turn bet, because you had possibly 6 outs to improve to the winnning hand.

I wouldnt have called the river bet even though the pot is big, because in this instance I think that its just too likely that you are beaten.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Only problem with this is that if I am ahead I'm giving a worse hand with 10 outs cheap cards. Could this be a 'wait until the turn to raise' situation? Raise any non-broadway?

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought about that line, but w/o a read, i usually am leary about using this line- that's just my personal preference, so i can't really say it is optimal or not. i guess i'll say this: if you're going to raise, the turn is a better spot IMO than the flop- how 'bout that? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2005, 02:46 PM

edit due to confusion:
[ QUOTE ]
Yes and yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are these to the two questions in the OP?

[ QUOTE ]
And this is 9 handed so the HUSH guys probably ignored it because it was in the wrong forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it was HU for the whole hand?
Old 08-29-2005, 02:56 PM

if they don't see a "6" next to handed or a "0" next to your stake numbers, it is kaka [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]