Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 07:37 PM

Default Poker Coach/Lessons?

Anybody ever use the realpokertraining.com or cardrunners.com? Any other websites or people you've taken lessons from? Are the above sites worth it? How about lessons over the phone or otherwise, was it worth the money?
Old 09-27-2005, 08:52 PM

Default Re: Poker Coach/Lessons?

How about reading books and practicing? Is that such a bad thing?
Old 09-27-2005, 09:53 PM

you might want to check out pokermentor.net. Not sure if it's what you're looking for but it is a decent way to learn as you can get a lot of your hands graded in a short time period. PM me if interested.

Another way to learn: read through the archives on this site. You don't have to learn from your own hands as almost every situation has already been posted here. There are a lot of great players with great recommendations. If you have questions, just ask them in the correct forum and people will respond.

Lozing
Old 09-27-2005, 11:37 PM

at first glance i thought it said poker coach/lesbians
Old 09-28-2005, 01:44 PM

6 hours elapse and i am the winner. ive got one fast finger.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:55 PM

I haven't tried either of those sites, but after looking them over, I would try cardrunners before the other one. Both seem pretty rinky-dink, but at least cardrunners is only $20. Any improvement to your game, no matter how small, is worth $20. Before i signed up for any tutor though, I would demand some sort of proof that they were winning players over at least a year. Ideally more.

I would read a book way before i got a lesson though. How would you even know if someone's advice was good or not? That sounds very, very risky.

Best of luck,
Eric
Old 10-12-2005, 08:01 PM

I've used both real poker training (RPT) and cardrunners and both sites have their merits. RPT is currently directed towards MTT's. Todd Arnold's videos are good, particuarly through R&A tournies, and he has a strong grasp of the psychology of the game. The content tends to get a little stale, although i think he's gearing up to put a load of whole new stuff up.

If i had to choose between the 2 i'd go for cardrunners, particularly if you are a cash game player. The instructors are all very successful NL cash game players at stakes as high as $50/100. The videos are absolutely fantastic and they have several at various limit tables, from .50/1 through to 5/10. Taylor Caby (green plastic on UB) and Andrew Wiggins (muddywater on ub)supply most of the content and their analysis, hand-by-hand, in the videos is very enlightening. There are several other instructors and "guest pros" who contribute as well. The videos are updated on a regular basis and if you ask them to do one of a specific type of game (short handed, specific buy-in limit, MTT, etc.) the staff does its best to respond.

The instructors also respond to every question on their message board and have a good series of articles they've written on the site. Last thing, some of the members of the site are very, very good players in their own right and the commentary, analysis, exchanges between members are really helpful.

Best investment I've made in my poker education. Hope that helps.

-jt
Old 10-13-2005, 10:07 AM

Cardrunners is well worth the money. If you have a solid foundation (i.e. you've read Super/System and Harrington on Hold Em 1 and 2), then Cardrunners is a great next step.