Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Re: 97o from SB NL200

[ QUOTE ]
any reads on UTG post-flop? is this more likely to be 9x/TT/JJ, or a set?

with no reads i call and plan to c/r all-in on the turn, if he checks behind, i value bet any non-5/6/T/J, check-call if those fall

i see a lot of hands at this level that cold-call here, especially against a loose player, namely any 9, TT, and JJ. its very likely that he doesnt want to raise to isolate BB because he is afraid of Hero.

[/ QUOTE ]

With my experience level at nl they have to do something to really stand out for me to get a decent read on them right now, and utg hasn't. What hands do you think he would call a c/r on the turn with but not my flop push? Or is that just to get that one extra bet on the turn that I wouldnt have gotten otherwise? Given his passive stats I wouldn't expect any turn bet to be very big, but with no read I could be wrong.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:01 PM

Default Re: 97o from SB NL200

[ QUOTE ]
I think you're giving too much credit to coldcalls from unknowns, alot of fish coldcall with a wide range of hands in these kinds of situations

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that you might be right... but here's my problem.

We're out of position in a $100 protected pot $120 behind, and no way to find out where we are.

If we push flop, only a complete donk calls us with anything worse than top two.

If we call and bet turn, we are pot committed. Again, only a complete donk would give us action with a worse hand. We're the small blind on a drawless board, the worst hand a reasonable villian can put us on is two pair.

If we call and check the turn, we might get a bet from a worse hand, and we can c/r all in (assuming he didn't just push). He will then be pot committed. This is great if he has a donkey overpair or 9, but I just don't know how often we see these hands being bet in a protected pot.

If we check and he checks behind, we can be pretty sure we're good, but if we're good, it's hard to extract much value on the river, since he's most likely drawing. Not to mention the free card we just gave.

I should say that there are LOTS of monkeys that I wouldn't mind going to the felt against, with this hand. It just seems to me that, vs a decent opponent, we get stacked here every time we're ahead, and don't extract much value when behind.

Keep in mind, it's been quite a while since I've played the $200 game.