Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2005, 12:06 AM

Default Chipleader with 12 left -- Partty $50+5 18:45 EST

12 left. At break I have 83644 and am the chip leader, have been since we were down to 50. I should have about 120k in chips, but my AA lost to 77 20 minutes ago...

Nick is slaggo if you feel like sweatin
Old 02-27-2005, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Chipleader with 12 left -- Partty $50+5 18:45 EST

Final table... 9 left now. Currently 3rd in chips.. no one has a commanding chip lead
Old 02-27-2005, 12:31 AM

Well I feel sick

I have a read on the chip leader, I have re-raised him several times before the flop and on the bubble and got him to lay down.

Final table, I'm in the SB with JJ and about 84k. He has 91k in chips and the blinds are 4k/8k. He min-raises to 16k. I'm 95% certain he's on a steal. I re-raise to 28k. I did not push in because I wanted all his chips and I knew he would fold to a push. Plus I knew I could out play him.

Sure enough, he flat called. Flop is 8 9 8. I lead weak with a 15k bet. He pushes. I insta-call and he shows A9o.

An A flips up on the turn and I'm out in 7th. Same guy that cracked my Aces earlier. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I hate outplaying someone TWICE and losing TWICE to the worst hand. Ugh.

Oh well, $735 isn't nothing... heading to the bar :/

</steam>
Old 02-27-2005, 12:51 AM

Im not sure you want to take a flop after putting in a third of your stack, when you're holding JJ. If you were sure he would fold to a push, I think pushing was the way to go. The pot of 28K (4+8+16) represents a substantial jump in your stack size of 84K to begin with, and JJ isn't anywhere near invulnerable.

Tough beat no doubt, but I really don't like taking an unnecessary flop here. After you reraise there is 68K in the pot, which means neither of you have a pot sized bet left in you...it doesn't leave for much in the way of being able to outplay anyone.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:00 AM

My dad finished 4th in that tournament. His handle is borysraf. I saw that JJ vs A9 hand, it was sick.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:03 AM

That weak raise is awful. As in horrible. Just push over him - you can't outplay someone when you ahve a third of your stack in the middle. At that point, there are only two options for each person in the hand and the hand is very simple.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:04 AM

I rather push as your within the 10xBB, and raising to 28k is like 3/8th your stack, and what if a Ace flops, will you pay him off? Or for that matter any A, K, Q flops, he has to call with any 2 given the odds presented to him.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:41 AM

Seems like most don't like your play. Personally, I like it. However it went down, you were going to get all your chips in, and the idea is to get everyone's else's chips. You had a far better chance of getting all his chips the way you played it. Before this post, I wouldn't have played it that way. Now, I have something new to consider [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2005, 09:31 PM

The obvious play was to push here. However, I felt that I could extract more chips from him this way. I also had a perfect read on this particular player. He was varying his raise and bet sizes based on the strength of his hand.

If I come over the top all-in, I am 99% certain he is folding in that spot. Yes I pick up the blinds and his min-raise and that is a little addition to my stack. However, within the next 2-3 minutes the blinds were moving to 5k/10k and getting him to fold preflop here isn't making my stack a dominant stack by any means.

Playing all-in poker preflop is precisely what I wanted to avoid. I believed I had a considerable edge over most of the other players as I was getting good reads and making notes of their play over the last 2 hours (I played with all but 2 of the players at the final table earlier in the tournament).

I'm not unhappy with how I played it... I got him to commit his chips as a considerable underdog. Perhaps I would have stayed in the tournament had I just pushed and he folded, but then again I'd be only a slightly above average stack with the blinds moving to 5k/10k the next orbit.

First prize was about $6100 and I really didn't care about 4th-10th place money here. I wanted to win or at least get a top 3 finish.

Congrats to your father, Don. He played well all the way up to and during the final table. There were two big pots before the final table that he could have gone broke in to me... but he made some good lay downs from what I could gather (once I had TPTK, another time I had a set).
Old 02-27-2005, 10:11 PM

I don't like the play. your reraise was a minimum reraise.

he's going to call with ANY TWO cards there. You need to push and be done with it. And he might call anyway with A9.

-Scott