Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

View Poll Results: How much do you think the U.S. is currently spending?
>14% 0 0%
14 0 0%
12 1 4.35%
10 1 4.35%
8 0 0%
6 0 0%
5 1 4.35%
4 0 0%
3 1 4.35%
2 4 17.39%
1 2 8.70%
<1% 13 56.52%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2005, 12:29 AM

Default Re: take home exam situation

My god so many of you are liars. Your holier than though, "cheating is always wrong" diatribe you are giving to others is so hypocritical it isn't even funny. Ok, the 2nd question I believe. I wouldn't feel the need to work with others. You people that say you wouldn't go over the 8 hours are bull shitters though. If you felt the only way you could pass was to go over the 8 hours, you would do it. 100% of you. Don't even try to answer back "I have integrity and morals, blah blah", cause you're lying. You wouldn't fail an entire graduate level class by stopping at 8 hours if it only took 10 hours for you to have a passing final exam. Sheesh.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Today we got this e-mail.

It saddens me to say that several students have ignored my warning on
collaboration on the final exam.

I do have names for individuals who committed this breach of my trust
and the Georgia Tech Honor Code.

I will therefor give you a choice:

You can respond to this e-mail and admit to me that you collaborated,
and I will dock your exam grade by 40 points (out of 110).

or

I will turn your names over to your respective Departments and the Dean
of Students and, given that you have this choice, do my best to see you
dismissed from Georgia Tech.

You have until Wednesday at 5 PM to choose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Translation:

I have heard a very reliable rumor that several students in the class have collaborated on the exam. I do not know (and certainly can not prove), however, exactly who those students are. I sincerely hope that one or more of them are stupid enough to respond to this e-mail so I can get to the bottom of the matter. Otherwise, I would be left without any recourse other than to either ignore the matter or readminister the exam to the entire class in a more controlled setting.

Sincerely,

Professor John Q. Jerkoff

All of you that purport to hold "honesty" and "integrety" in such high regard should be appaled at this letter. Other than maybe "I love you" or "The check's in the mail", "We already know you did it, and things will go much easier on you if you just fess up" is probably one of the most oft-repeated lies out there. That professor ought to be ashamed of himself for sending out such a blatantly deceptive e-mail in an attempt to punish dishonesty.

[/ QUOTE ]

spot on
Old 12-13-2005, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Bump because I've got 2 of these right now. One that is pretty open, and one that is very obviously no collaboration. Some people in the no collaboration class had a meeting yesterday afternoon to work on the exam anyway, which I decided late not to go to because I was hanging out with my girlfriend. Today we got this e-mail.

or

BUSTED!

[/ QUOTE ]

Something like this happened in my Differential Equations class but worse. We had a project where you could work with a partner on and you had to do it in MathCAD. It ended up being one group doing the assignment and everyone but 2 groups (mine and some others) copied it. The thing that set it off was when you moused over an equation it showed the original header file that noone bothered to change, OOPS. Even worse was the project would have scored a low C. I didn't trust other peoples work in the engineering school to copy from them. At my alma mater they seemed to suffer from group think.

Melch
Old 12-13-2005, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

or

[/ QUOTE ]

Translation:

I have heard a very reliable rumor that several students in the class have collaborated on the exam. I do not know (and certainly can not prove), however, exactly who those students are. I sincerely hope that one or more of them are stupid enough to respond to this e-mail so I can get to the bottom of the matter. Otherwise, I would be left without any recourse other than to either ignore the matter or readminister the exam to the entire class in a more controlled setting.

Sincerely,

All of you that purport to hold "honesty" and "integrety" in such high regard should be appaled at this letter. Other than maybe "I love you" or "The check's in the mail", "We already know you did it, and things will go much easier on you if you just fess up" is probably one of the most oft-repeated lies out there. That professor ought to be ashamed of himself for sending out such a blatantly deceptive e-mail in an attempt to punish dishonesty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly possible, but the last time when the CS department pulled this "bluff" it ended with 100+ students being expelled.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

or

[/ QUOTE ]

Translation:

Sincerely,

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly possible, but the last time when the CS department pulled this "bluff" it ended with 100+ students being expelled.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's obviously trying to create a bastardized prisoner's dilema here. All it takes is one or two to come in and fess up, then they can get everybody. Maybe the first few to confess get a much lighter punishment, but the fact remains that if nobody says a thing, they got nothing other than rumor and innuendo. How could he possibly have a list of names(I am assuming that these people weren't stupid enough to work openly in the library or something)? I highly doubt someone in the group had a crisis of conscience and walked in to his office out of the blue and confessed. More than likely, some busybody overheard a couple of people talking about putting a group together and felt compelled to report it to the professor. As long as they weren't stupid enough to hand in 8 identical tests, if nobody who was actually present in the room says, [censored], nothing would ever come of this. The problem is, I guarantee you at least one of the people involved will cave and respond to that e-mail. This is why I said "no" to question 2 on the poll unless I had a close friend in the class. For those of you that answered "yes" to that question: Do you really trust that some random acquaintances from class would know how to properly handle themselves in this situation? I hope the group of kids involved had the commone sense to discreetly get everybody together to strategize/discuss the situation immediately after the e-mail went out. I also hope that whoever supplied this information to the professor gets what's coming to them.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:01 AM

This thread is literally making me feel ill. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

At least it's given me something to think about if I ever teach undergraduates again.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread is literally making me feel ill. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

At least it's given me something to think about if I ever teach undergraduates again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sad, isn't it? After a couple years in grad school I decided I didn't have it in me to get the PhD, at least not now. I haven't ruled out going back. My undergrad was at Harvey Mudd, which has a real honor code. Exams are take-home, and people actually treat that with respect. It's almost as if they're interested in learning something.

Don't get me wrong. There are still people who go to TA office hours for "help" asking "so, what's the answer to #1? Ok, #2?"...etc. And it's easier for profs/tutors just to give out the answers. I have real respect for people who actually try to get their students to learn something. But it seems increasingly rare, since just giving out the answers will take care of office hours so quickly.

But really...if you don't have it in you to take a grad-school exam according to an honor code, you don't belong in grad school.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

or

[/ QUOTE ]

Translation:

Sincerely,

[/ QUOTE ]

I change my original answer from "this instructor is an idiot" to "this instructor is an idiot and a tool."
Old 12-13-2005, 07:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

or

[/ QUOTE ]

Translation:

Sincerely,

[/ QUOTE ]

I change my original goals in life from " I want to make money at poker " to " I want to be a professional psych mod ."

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 12-13-2005, 11:32 AM

The professor doesn't necessarily have to be bluffing. You're neglecting how stupidly obvious it frequently is that people have cheated. Here are a couple of examples:

1) A friend of mine when TAing got one of the weekly quizzes back. Two of them had identical handwriting; the sole effort made to disguise the handwriting was that on one quiz the student wrote all of his Rs backwards, Toys R Us style. The answers were exactly the same and horrendously wrong.

2) I was grading homework for a course at one point, and found that the other TA had prepared solutions with numerous errors - four out of thirteen questions were answered incorrectly. I received three assignments that were entirely correct except for those four problems, where the exact same mistakes were made. After I asked the students about this, one of them actually said to me, "Well, it never explicitly said that we couldn't copy the solutions for the homework assignments," which, while technically true, seems pretty excruciatingly dumb.

I also think that what I find more bothering than the cheating discussed here is the amazing amount of rationalization and justification of it. Do what you gotta, I guess, but I can't believe how many of you seriously seem to think you're in the right here.