Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 09:05 PM

Default bankroll question

Hey everyone, long time lurker here! I know this question is probably running it into the ground for alot of you, but any responses would be most helpful [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm a live mid/high limit cash game player and am in the process of transferring 5k to an online bankroll to get in some of the internet action. My question would be if this amount is adequate for the $500 buy-in games, or if those are not around, the 2/4 which I am sure is $400 max. I've done my research on NL and feel that I can play much better than a bad player and will avoid confrontations with better ones until I have more experience. Normally, I'd feel that 10x buyin would be a sufficient short-term bankroll for any real life game, but I hear stories at the tables all the times of how much variance there is in online games since there is supposedly more multi-way action.

If anyone would care to comment on this bank size and the variance compared to live cash games, I'd be very thankful!

Chloee
Old 06-09-2005, 09:08 PM

Default Re: bankroll question

5k is fine for 2/4. Just be ready to move down to 1/2 if you hit a bad run.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:17 PM

Should be fine, but if you play 6-max, you may want a little more as the variance goes up a bit.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:41 PM

I'm strictly a ring game player. Strong willed, but not enough for short NL [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2005, 11:54 PM

I've recently moved up to mostly 2-4 and some 3-6. I usually keep 3K in my account. And I cash out 3K once I get to 6k. I've yet to go below 1K in my account.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've done my research on NL and feel that I can play much better than a bad player

[/ QUOTE ]

Something about this statement that makes me chuckle.

Variance is actually less in no-limit as opposed to limit, and up to NL400, I've never had a swing more than 2 to 3 buy-ins. I play a style that leads to less swings, but you should be fine with 10 buy-ins assuming, of course, you are a winning player.

Garland
Old 06-10-2005, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've recently moved up to mostly 2-4 and some 3-6. I usually keep 3K in my account. And I cash out 3K once I get to 6k. I've yet to go below 1K in my account.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you have more money available than just 3k. I've hit runs of -$3k at 2/4 and 3/6 at the rate of about once per month.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Something about this statement that makes me chuckle.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I wrote it I didn't glance back to notice how cliche it sounded [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I sat down for a few hours tonight to test the waters and the games do seem pretty good as I've heard. I'm up a bit at the moment, so I'll see where that goes. I'm surprised about what you said on variance Garland; I'll have to keep a close eye on how my swings are going. Still, I doubt that my style is conservative enough to prevent losing more than a few buy-ins! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Luckily, that won't bother me too much.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I must post a hand or two or be a little more chatty from now on seeing how receptive y'all are. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Chloee