Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-21-2005, 07:39 PM

Default Re: *TT* rates OOT\'s fashion sense

TT I wanted to pick out another selection for you to grade this time at Nordstom.com

I went to the jeans part and encountered my first problem. What style Here.

I normally go with loose or relaxed fit but one of your recent replies seemed to advise against that. Any suggestions as to style/fit. I'm a little taller than 5'10 and weigh about 155 so slim.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TT I wanted to pick out another selection for you to grade this time at Nordstom.com

I went to the jeans part and encountered my first problem. What style Here.

I normally go with loose or relaxed fit but one of your recent replies seemed to advise against that. Any suggestions as to style/fit. I'm a little taller than 5'10 and weigh about 155 so slim.

[/ QUOTE ]

See the guy in the photo? Thats how a good jean should fit if they are loose. Loose in all the right places, but it still accentuates the good parts of the body. I'm a bit short on time at the moment, I hope thats a good start.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2005, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Suit
Shirt
Tie (Plum, the bottom one)
Links
Shoes (in black)
Watch

Working this time maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]

Suit: Nice choice. If you were to aim higher, where would you go? I recommend Oswald Botang, you can find him on Saville Row.

Shirt: I'm a fan of Thomas Pink for the prince point, but this specific shirt is not one of their best. Make sure you take it to a tailor, tuck in the upper sleeves and nip the back so it form fits your body nicely (and yes you can do it even if you are over weight, it actually looks better guys!)

Links: Excellent. I prefer a small dab of color personally, but grade A choice

Tie: Don't let me down now. Perhaps you should go back to Thomas Pink? Its a nice tie, but considering the outfit you need to take it up a notch

Shoes: Standard. Well done. Personally I'd prefer Costume National boots with your suit, but thats just me. You hit it on the hear here. A++

Watch: Ewwww!!!! WTF? You really let me down with that one. I won't begin to discuss why, but its the low point of your selection. You lose 1.5 points for even considering it! Too bad, you would have been the first 10.

On the *TT* sliding scale I deem your outfit an 8.5. Dump the watch and you will go right to the top of the class.

[/ QUOTE ]Funny that the watch should meet with such a negative reaction; it got stolen a while ago (which you'll no doubt consider to be a blessing) and I just threw it in there to get an opinion. I'm in the market for a new watch now and have been looking at a couple different vintage Bulova Curvex... similarly disgusting to you? I never thought of Emporio Armani as "80s Italian" (the watches, anyway). What would you consider to be a more fitting complement? I'm 5'11" 155ish and as you noted, my style is very British (Savile Row suits are great for my shape; love the high armholes). So now we're looking for a suitable watch, and NOT looking for a $1K-plus showpiece. NO BRAG WATCHES, just something that looks good and doesn't scream "80s Italian"! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2005, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they weren't cool then, and they are not cool now. OK... I lie. They are actually really cool, but the problem is that everyone who wears them doesn't know how to match their outfits so they look good - hence they are uncool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you give an example of what outfits would match with them so they would look good?
Old 12-21-2005, 08:17 PM

OK I found 3 pairs I like

G Star Raw Denim harrison jeans $150

Mavi jeans $88

pure stuff isaac jeans $70
Old 12-21-2005, 08:18 PM

i wear levi 560 jeans and a white t-shirt i have owned for anywhere between 4 and 10 years. blue adidas shoes. rolex submariner watch (stainless and black). no belt.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What I need the most from TT is a suggestion on a good casual hipsterish blazer. Something which suits my vegetarian, Park Slope living, hanging out in the East Village, magic playing, poker playing, Dillinger Escape Plan listening to lifestyle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pricepoint? I think you should be paying some $$$ my friend, its not cheep to live like an boho hipster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, because I'd like it to be casual I don't want to spend too much, but since I've been known to play $300/$600 I certainly don't have to be cheap.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:40 PM

Nothing beats a good Versace.

Old 12-21-2005, 08:44 PM

Wow, this thread is good.

If I could add one thing to TT's solid advice it'd be this: Get a a couple of real [censored] watches, people! I don't mean showoff brands like Rolex or Omega (although if you have the $$$, sure, why not), just well designed, high-quality mechanics/automatics. I admit, there are some creative designs among the non-brands, but 99% of the time you'll be better off with a watch-watch.

If you'd buy a car, wouldn't you rather buy an Mercedes than a no-name POS on wheels with a DKNY-logo?
Old 12-21-2005, 09:08 PM

i've got a good one for you TT.