Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 10-31-2005, 05:05 AM

Default NFC South

Atlanta, Carolina, and Tampa Bay are all 5-2. Yet, of those 15 wins the only two of them came against good teams: Philly and New England (and calling these teams "good" Tampa's trying to a new strategy by not playing a quarterback at all; Carolina's first decisive win came today, and Atlanta's looked very bad against two of the worst teams in the league two weeks in a row.

None of these teams are really that good; Carolina's probably the best of the bunch. Tampa will likely freefall to oblivion if their QB issues don't get resolved. Atlanta might just coast to 10-6 thanks to a schedule which has them playing the rest of the way versus Miami, Green Bay, Detroit, Tampa Twice, Carolina Twice, and New Orleans. Their hardest game will come against Chicago (a better team), IN Chicago, in December.

Carolina's schedule is slightly harder, since they catch Dallas.They still play in Chicago, but a month earlier. They also travel to Buffalo version Holcomb in late November.

The NFC South just goes to show how records can be very misleading, and how strength of schedule is very important in considering the strength of teams.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Re: NFC South

Tampa is in bad shape with an injured Cadillac and an ineffective Chris Simms. Scoring 10 points on the worst defense in football is scary. Looks like it's between Panthers and Falcons now.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tampa is in bad shape with an injured Cadillac and an ineffective Chris Simms. Scoring 10 points on the worst defense in football is scary. Looks like it's between Panthers and Falcons now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I the only one that thinks Tim Rattay=good? I'd hope they give him a shot fairly soon.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:36 PM

I think once Rattay gets familiar enough with the plays he'll be in there, Simms is just terrible.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:47 PM

Interesting, so we have a thread here to discuss the complete suckitude of the NFC South. I find this amusing (not untrue mind you, I refuse to ever disagree with JoA on sports), as the NFC North and AFC East are probably worse than that division as a whole. You also can't really applaud for the NFC West (49ers, Cardinals, Rams). I think the fact of the matter is, most of the teams SUCK this year. There are maybe 2-3 SOLID teams, a handful of decent ones depending on the week, and about 4 division-worths of crappy ass teams that are painful to watch.

Sick.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I the only one that thinks Tim Rattay=good? I'd hope they give him a shot fairly soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

No; Rattay showed a lot in 2003 stepping in for an injured Jeff Garcia (and actually showed he was probably better than Jeff Garcia). Since the mass exodus of talent in san francisco, Rattay's gone from one of the best looking young QBs in the league to looking absolutely clueless. Surrounded with talent, and in Jon Gruden's amazing passing system, he should be fine. The problem is the time issue; Bucs have 9 games left, how long will it take Rattay to learn Gruden's complex playbook?
Old 10-31-2005, 05:41 PM

Delhomme ---> Smith = Division Champs.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:48 PM

Yeah, I was contemplating where the NFC South rank in terms of division strength. Behind the AFC West and NFC East obviously. But what about the AFC North and AFC South which have two top teams and two horrible teams apiece? I think you have to weight the top teams in a division, and honestly - which top team is worse than Carolina/Atlanta? New England, maybe? Cincy/Pitt, Indy, San Diego/Denver, NYG/DAL, Chicago, and Seattle are all better than Carolina/Atlanta.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:04 PM

Either Carolina is very good or Tampa is really bad, this game today is completely one sided.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Either Carolina is very good or Tampa is really bad, this game today is completely one sided.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tampa Bay with Simms is really bad.