Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 11:57 PM

Default Re: KJo 300/600

[ QUOTE ]
No way do I fold here. Marrakes just thinks that steve is full of crap, and they aren't even worried about you because you didn't 3 bet preflop and your flop bet was mandatory after they both checked. I think 3 betting this turn is probably the best play.

[/ QUOTE ]

your description of the other players' hands are great, but is there any merit to 3-betting?

manrakes looks to have anywhere from 22-qq, and steve has nothing. steve is probably folding to manrakes raise and your cold-call just as much as your 3-bet.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

manrakes looks to have anywhere from 22-qq, and steve has nothing. steve is probably folding to manrakes raise and your cold-call just as much as your 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did anyone else find that as funny as i did?
Old 10-11-2005, 12:15 AM

This was a very good post, and I must admit my first instinct was to fold the turn, only becuz I get highly suspicious when an aggressive player raises preflop and then checks on a flop that every aggressive player knows is a mandatory bet no matter what they have. So given the flop check after the preflop raise and then the turn raise I would naturally put the villain on a moster since his play is so consistent with a monster on every street. I wouldve folded the turn given this action, but it appears to me this might be a mistake, just giving my thought process of the situation.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:37 AM

you're so cute when you want to be.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:23 AM

i think paluka pretty much nailed this hand. i dont' think you can possibly fold here and i think 3-betting is best.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:46 AM

I don't like the PF CC, isolating marrakes has big +EV, and your hand has reverse implieds odds and letting bb or SB in to pot damages it.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:35 PM

I called the turn, steve called. River A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], steve checked, marrakes bet, I called, steve mucked, marrakes tabled K8o and MHIG.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:29 AM

What does MHIG mean?

Also, I really don't know if you should have just cold called preflop either - I don't play such high stakes but it really seems to me that it isn't really going to help you much by not 3 betting... I guess it really just depends on how well you're going to play post flop with your reads on the players, and it obviously just ended up confusing you..

I think you shouldn't have called on the turn, definitley 3-bet and fold to a cap.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:37 AM

here's a thought.

bk asked what i thought and i told him the following:

as long as you dont fold the turn, you're fine. you can argue for 3 betting or just aclling and seeing the showdown but you are showdown bound with this hand. period. there's no folding to a cap vs. marrakes here.

you're making a commitment to the showdown b/c of this player's ability to do cracked out things.

the main point im making is the EV of calling and raising is just so much greater than calling i dont care if you do one or the other, just dont fold. which one is higher (calling and raising) is up for debate and depends on a few things that are hard to quantify.

-Barron
Old 10-12-2005, 12:40 AM

"the main point im making is the EV of calling and raising is just so much greater than calling i dont care if you do one or the other, just dont fold."

normally fine but in this case not fine because the chances at least one of them has a draw or a weaker K is so high that you do your bankroll a disservice by not 3 betting here.