Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 08:24 PM

Default A-10s- Top pair how is my line?

I am not sure about this hand. If it wasn't suited I would have folded preflop. SB is new to the table so I have no reads. Comments on all streets are welcome, I think they are all questionable.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB folds, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

River: (11 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB
Old 09-26-2005, 08:36 PM

Default Re: A-10s- Top pair how is my line?

I guess with the limpers the preflop call was ok... but I probably would have folded. Anyway, I would 3-bet the flop. I want to know now if I am good or not, this looks like sb is doing a hand protecting raise as opposed to a raise with a nine. Anyway, If donk bet on the turn I would call down after my raise, but I would fold if check raised on the turn.

After your flop though, Its a tough call. I'd probably raise and fold to a 3-bet. If just called, then I'd go for a free showdown, but call a river donkbet and be confused as hell. The flop raise is critical here I think, for information and value.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:35 PM

SB has a 9 more often than not. Folding the turn is prolly the least -EV way to play this.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SB has a 9 more often than not. Folding the turn is prolly the least -EV way to play this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously? There are WAY more hands that make this raise..., any 10, a straight or flush draw with overs--and depending on the player or our own image, much more than that. The first responders line is good, since the "information" you get from raising the flop, and then c/r'd the turn is cheaper than raising the turn and being 3-bet.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:32 PM

I think this is nice.

The other option is probably to raise the turn, with the intent of folding to a three-bet. Though this might fold an inferior T, and only is really better against a player who is playing a draw weirdly and would check-fold the river with such a hand.

I think this is a kind of wa/wb situation, though there are more cards that change things. This is mitigated somewhat by our favorable position.

Out of position this would be MUCH harder to play.

I think you should be betting this river when checked to, for what it's worth. I don't think a river raise is good though because many Ts will fold and you're up against a 9 too often.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:31 PM

I was up against a weaker 10 (king kicker). Looking back over this hand I posted it because it felt really weak to be calling from the flop all the way to the river and I really wanted to find a spot to raise. I think the first response does make a lot of sense (though in this case it may have cost 1 or 2 BB). The only spot I could maybe see a raise is on the river due to the 10 still being top pair and maybe a busted flush draw played horribly. However without a read I don't think I would be comfortable doing so.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:52 PM

Seems fine to me.
If he had a 9 or a heart draw he would like to leave all the other players in and probably would have bet out. This looks like a protection raise with a T.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:31 AM

I like The Legend's line.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
, I would 3-bet the flop. I want to know now if I am good or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising for info is generally not a good idea, a lot of players will cap w/a flush draw or a weaker 10 just as easy as they would w/a 9.

[ QUOTE ]
this looks like sb is doing a hand protecting raise as opposed to a raise with a nine

[/ QUOTE ]

So then why not wait for the turn to raise to charge the draws and/or a weaker 10.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was up against a weaker 10 (king kicker). Looking back over this hand I posted it because it felt really weak to be calling from the flop all the way to the river and I really wanted to find a spot to raise. I think the first response does make a lot of sense (though in this case it may have cost 1 or 2 BB). The only spot I could maybe see a raise is on the river due to the 10 still being top pair and maybe a busted flush draw played horribly. However without a read I don't think I would be comfortable doing so.

[/ QUOTE ]
You played your hand fine on everystreet. First off, even realizing that you have the best hand on the flop, you still should not 3 bet it, when there are many turn cards that will ruin your hand. You should wait til the turn b4 you show any more aggression. When the villain bets the turn and everyone in between fold, I would only raise in this spot if I can safely fold to a reraise, without a read on your opponent, calling down is not bad at all.