Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2005, 02:11 AM

Default Re: Definition of \"playing well after the flop\"?

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe some of my problem is patience with the selection of good preflop starting hands

[/ QUOTE ]

so does this mean your VP is high?

[ QUOTE ]
Ed Miller said in a recent post I read that 2+2'ers fold too much

[/ QUOTE ]

This may or may not include you.
not sure if your problems are the same as 'most 2+2'ers'.
Obviously, you shouldn't take this to mean that you should just be liberally chasing to the river with anything.
His point (I think) was that there is a certain group of 2+2'ers who are all proud of their 'good folds' when they think they are beat....when, in fact, they should be betting or calling it down because of pot-odds.

[ QUOTE ]
what are some points that relate to playing well after the flop that when I see that phrase I'd know what to work on next?

[/ QUOTE ]

for the games you are playing in it's pretty much all contained in SSHE.
read and re-read.
POst hands that where the decision is a bit uncertain to you over in the micro strategy forum.

If you don't think you are playing well and believe you are prone to tilt you may want to consider playing fewer tables.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
100k total up to .50/1.00

94k at .05/.10

[/ QUOTE ]

Good Lord!! Why?!?
Old 12-23-2005, 05:34 AM

I've played so many hands at the .05/.10 level because:

1) I take the game too seriously--winning and losing real $--never thought there would be such a good thing you could do from your own bedroom!

2) I thought if I mastered this beginning level my confidence would be strong so that when I moved up, the mistakes wouldn't be so devastating to my (ego) when I did make "I should know better by now" errors.

I knew how easy it was to go back down to .05/.10 so I figured I could learn the game better there without so much "pressure".

But now I think you've blown my cover. You're right, I need to learn with better players--it's like you'd never go back to play money to learn more after you've reached the basic real money levels.

I know how well I usually play when I concentrate on the game so I'm moving up and staying there to prove (to myself) that I really do know what I know I know.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I know how well I usually play when I concentrate on the game

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have to use qualifiers to justify the times you aren't playing well at the nano/micr-limits then you possibly SHOULDN'T be moving up.

It seems that you actually get tilted some playing for even such small stakes.

Do you even have a solid win-rate at these super-small limits??

I don't think that moving up to 'prove' yourself is the best philosophy.

If you are beating the lower games handily then move up.

If you are not then figure out what you are doing wrong and prove that you can actually beat these super-easy teeny games before you move up.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:01 AM

My VP for .05/.10 is 19.37

for .25/.50 it's 10.45

for .10/.20 it's 16.98

These ar the levels I've played the most hands at.

Thank you also for encouraging me to read and re-read
SSHE. I used to read and study in college for tests and pretty much get it.

But I find every time I open SSHE or even the beginners book, new levels of understanding are revealed to me ( after practicing a whole bunch between readings).

So maybe that the way this learning process works. Even Ed Miller says our brains want to give up when confronted with the inconsistencies of giving and getting "bad beats", for instance.

Lady luck throws a monkey wrench into this process when we least expect it and most want it but she's in charge so far as I can see.

The more money I play for the more tilt I get. All your recommendations to play fewer tables are good to help solve this problem.

Just today I tried cutting back to 2 tables and it was a lot easier to see what I was doing and what was happening at the table.

I even started to see if I would have kept on to the river I would have won--several times--so that was an eye opener--were they long shots that came in or did I have the odds to continue (and should have).

All very helpful feedback to making positive changes in my game. It feels so good to be supported.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
100k total up to .50/1.00

94k at .05/.10

[/ QUOTE ]
Move up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely there needs to a better reason to move up than just the sheer number of hands played?

Ian
Old 12-23-2005, 06:14 AM

You're right. I've lingered way too long at this .05/.10 level. My reasons were probably misguided.

Poker has brought my feelings up to the surface--I'm a pretty low-key person usually.

If the higher tables bring on the fear and the tilt I will learn to handle it through playing fewer tables and whatever else I can figure out to do.

Thanks.