Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Help on changing gears

Greetings fellow Klingons I recently played a 5/10 limit holdem on a riverboat in Brunswick, Ga for 3 sessions. I made money my first two sessions but the third I encounterd cold cards. The players at the table played any two cards and called raises with anything and if the flop hit them they ran with it.The rough part is that they were making $. I lost a big pot with KQo when I had a pair of Q,s with K kicker to someone calling bets and raises with a Q5o who spiked a 5 to make two pair. Doubts and more doubts about the long run and making consistent money by playing T/A. If I could ask one question to some pros out there it would be how do you make money playing a looser style of poker when you are used to playing good cards in good positon.

sincerly,
Greg Kukulski aka Cziak
Old 11-02-2005, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Help on changing gears

Ahh...

Congrats, dude. You've made the first step toward playing winning poker.

That step, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, is admitting you have no idea what is going on.

You've found the best place to learn. Go buy "Small Stakes Hold'em" by Ed Miller. Read it. Read every thread on the first five-pages of this forum, except Jason_T's "I Love You Guys Thread." Post. Learn. Win.

Good luck!
Old 11-02-2005, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Help on changing gears

Here's the trick, loose players APPEAR to make tons of money with junk hands. In reality, these players lose most of the times they play, but thier willingness to play most hands can lead to some spectacular wins, but in the long run they will leave all of thier money on the table.

T/A play will win the money, but it won't be in the way most people want to win. Most people want to walk in with $200 sit down at 4/8 and leave 8 hours later with $700. This is not realistic. Most of the time we book small wins, small losses, and occasionaly big wins and big losses. In the long run we leave with the money, the problem is the long run is really LONG.

Study Small Stakes Hold'em.
Track every single win and loss.
Strive to play right, and understand these loose players are NOT winning in the long run.
Be prepared for fluctuation, players around here have seen 60,000 hands of break-even poker(this was ChrisDaddyCool I think, and I myself have had a break-even run of 35,000)]
Don't get discouraged, you'll be fine.