Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2005, 04:41 PM

Default Hands to call raises with?

I see tons of posts on this board about what cards to play, what cards to push, when to push any two etc, but there doesn't seem to be much on the required hands to actually call raises at the various levels.

Early on L1&L2 its pretty simple, re-raise if you have premium pairs & AK. If you are getting decent odds with smaller PPs then calling is an option.

L3 and things start to get a little blurier as people start stealing, a similar range to L1&L2 though.

L4 & up is where I seem a bit lost. What is a good range of hands to be calling with to pick off steals?

At the moment I seem to be calling with PPs around 77 & up, ~A9 & up all depending on the situation. Should I be opening up to more hands? Playing a bit tighter?

I know its tough to pigeon hole all this stuff as every situation is different, but I'd welcome some new things to think about.

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Hands to call raises with?

TOTALLY depends on stack sizes and your feel for your opponent.

I know that doesnt help, I just answered a similar question with a range of AJ+, 99+, maybe put KQ in there if calling and losing wont hurt me much.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:28 PM

Once you get to level 3, calling with almost ANY hand is the wrong move. It's reraise or fold.

This is not concrete. Mini-raises obviously change the situation. So do stack sizes. But as a general rule, you're not getting implied odds to call practically any raise by level 3.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:39 PM

calling requires more decisions...decision suck and take too damn long. When the blinds are decent you gotta move in or fold. Early rounds I call with any small pair and I call a non "killing my stack" raises, something around 6/7%. I think the more tables you play, you will see yourself changing to avoid calling, because of how much attention it requires.