Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Using Netflix to obtain massive DVD collection...

[ QUOTE ]
terabytes. 1000 gigabytes.

[/ QUOTE ]

or 1024 Gigabets...

*crickets chirping*
Old 11-01-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is it about principle of not stealing?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, and

[ QUOTE ]
The cases are purdy.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah. when i sold my small dvd collection on ebay the guy wanted to know if i had the dvd paper inserts to the boxes!
Old 11-01-2005, 01:34 PM

1. does netflix really work in vietnam or wherever?

2. i have a dvd i want to copy to my comp, how do i do this? I want to copy the commentaries and stuff as well. its a 2 disc special of heat which i legitimately rented and dont have time to watch in two days.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:35 PM

use dvd shrink. you can pick which items you want to keep.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:36 PM

This is a half baked idea, but bear with me.

At some point the value and cost of something like a DVD becomes so out of wack that it's hard for me not to rationalize what amounts to theft.

There's basically no way I'm going to feel like I got 20 bucks worth of enjoyment out of a DVD. I don't know how I measure that, but I just can't see it happening. As such, I feel like what you see with file sharing and what not is some sort of market correction or someting.

This is ethically inconsistant, and probably full of it, but it's the current thought that is in my brain.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

At some point the value and cost of something like a DVD becomes so out of wack that it's hard for me not to rationalize what amounts to theft.

There's basically no way I'm going to feel like I got 20 bucks worth of enjoyment out of a DVD. I don't know how I measure that, but I just can't see it happening. As such, I feel like what you see with file sharing and what not is some sort of market correction or someting.

This is ethically inconsistant, and probably full of it, but it's the current thought that is in my brain.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure a lot of people do something similar to this, but they also don't create huge threads on poker forums about how much money tehy took off some sucker, and then right at the end of it say "yeah, I feel bad though guys." He feels so bad he is not even willing to spend the "ill-gotten" money paying for dvds.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure a lot of people do something similar to this, but they also don't create huge threads on poker forums about how much money tehy took off some sucker, and then right at the end of it say "yeah, I feel bad though guys." He feels so bad he is not even willing to spend the "ill-gotten" money paying for dvds.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a huge difference when taking money from an individual vs a faceless, billion dollar company.

The thread KKF created about his feelings was a valuable contribution but it should not be discussed here.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:49 PM

He's like 18 or something, he's allowed some ethical inconsistancies.

I'm not sure it's totally analagous, because 100K is a life changing amount, and the big issue with DVDs and CDs is that the profit margin on them is so high that we know damn well that the loss is NOT life changing for the studios/labels. (as an aside, if the issue that people like the MPAA and RIAA argued was intellectual property rather than poverty, it would hold a lot more validity).

(also, the thread he started was in response to a long thread about his HU battle that he didn't start, so it wasn't as if he was bragging that he won 100K, as it was well know on the forums)
Old 11-01-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's like 18 or something, he's allowed some ethical inconsistancies.

I'm not sure it's totally analagous, because 100K is a life changing amount, and the big issue with DVDs and CDs is that the profit margin on them is so high that we know damn well that the loss is NOT life changing for the studios/labels. (as an aside, if the issue that people like the MPAA and RIAA argued was intellectual property rather than poverty, it would hold a lot more validity).

(also, the thread he started was in response to a long thread about his HU battle that he didn't start, so it wasn't as if he was bragging that he won 100K, as it was well know on the forums)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure the amount of money involved in software/music/movie piracy is a "life-changing" amount. I find it hard to believe that there aren't everyday folks who work in those industries who aren't worse off because of it.
Of course he is allowed inconsistencies. I download illegal stuff too, but if I really like it I usually end up buying it to be a good guy. And of course I'm vegetarian, but I should be vegan. We all suck.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:42 PM

i still buy some dvd's, but mostly i do this.

it's very helpful when getting tv shows like Lost that several people want to watch, since it would put a big delay in the netflix queue.