Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 02:58 AM

Default A quick preface, and a hand

After playing a week of mostly limit hold 'em during my trip to Turning Stone, I've started to play limit online. Depending on whether I'm going to stick with it or not, I might be posting a few hands here and there. I've already had a great start (-17BB/100--but I'm not discouraged yet).

Anyway, here's a hand that I played tonight. Nothing of villain's play caught my eye up to this point, I hadn't seen him do anything like this since I sat down. Comments on all streets welcome.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (4.33 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero...

What's your action here? What is the plan of attack on the next two streets?
Old 08-25-2005, 03:05 AM

Default Re: A quick preface, and a hand

I'm 3betting the flop then leading the turn. If raised your in trouble. with the coordinated board villain could be raising straight/flush draws, a weaker king (KQ, AK usually raise, leaving only KT as the only likely OS candidate) howeve two pair is a distinct possibility, and with a decent read you could lay this down if your raised on the turn.

JT [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2005, 03:26 AM

I 3-bet, then lead the turn. I fold UI to a turn raise. I'm not sure how to handle a flop cap, but if I got it HU on the flop I feel I need to call down unless the flush draw/9 hits on the turn. If it gets capped 3-ways on the flop I feel a turn fold will be safe since MP1 will likely take a freecard with a flush draw on the turn.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:36 AM

Raise preflop. 3-bet the flop.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

May I ask what your reasoning is on the raise PF? I've been experimenting with looser raising standards lately i.e KTo from the button and capping with AQs to add deception but KJ from MP2? Interested in your response.

Old 08-25-2005, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

May I ask what your reasoning is on the raise PF? I've been experimenting with looser raising standards lately i.e KTo from the button and capping with AQs to add deception but KJ from MP2? Interested in your response.

[/ QUOTE ]
I fold KJo early, but there's an MP1 limper and we're in MP3. I'd rather try and get the button and isolate the late limper.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's gonna be fun playing poker with my mirror image in November. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2005, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The preflop raise is very easy IMO. You're not likely to be dominated by the limper and the raise buy folding equity on the flop. You put the pressure on having to hit a hand on your opponent. If you get several caller (2-3) you're not commited to bet a bad flop, but still the preflop raise probably was for value because you'll hit TPGK often.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's gonna be fun playing poker with my mirror image in November. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

How would you handle a flop cap?
Old 08-25-2005, 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How would you handle a flop cap?

[/ QUOTE ]

Call and hope for running diamonds. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'm seeing a showdown here a fair amount though, more often than I probably should.

Rob