Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Hockey

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Can't blame any of this on Khabibulin. Any goalie looks bad behind that team. If you wanna complain about the amount of money you're paying one guy, look at Aucoin. He's overpaid. Not a stud D-man at all.

And if you want a worse goalie, look in Atlanta. They've had 5 (I think) this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Auccion has been fighting a groin injury all season and has missed a handfull of games and was less than 100% in many others. He hasn't played bad despite this.

Have you watched any of their games this season? Khabibulan is playing much worse than the defense surrounding him. When your allowing tons of goals on weak shots, the goalie being out of position, or when the goalie leaves fat rebounds is it the defenses fault?

If he wasn't injured, I would take Keri Lehtonen in a heartbeat over Khabibulan. The last 2 seasons he has been the best goalie in the AHL and he will be a stud. He should even put up good numbers with Atlanta's poor D.

[/ QUOTE ]

I forgot about Lehtonen - he'll be good.

I know Aucoin isn't 100%. I just don't see him as a number 1 D-man.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:13 AM

Aucoin was +29 last year.

That is probably top 5-10 in the NHL.

He is a number 1 d-man.

Save %age should show that Cabbagebulin is having a bad year.

rJ
Old 11-07-2005, 10:21 AM

The thing i find most interesting this year is how important "team" is.

Look at all the top teams. Ottawa, Montreal, Vancouver, Carolina, Detroit...hell why not throw in Rangers. None of them made a big splash in the free agent free for all at the start of the year. They all stayed with the teams they had. I think the team concept is huge in hockey and its showing.

The Pittsburgh's, Edmontons, Calgary's, and others that went out signing, or had to dish off players arent doing as well. Los Angeles and Philly are small exceptions to this rule. Hockey is a team game and chemistry amongst linemates is huge.

rJ
Old 11-07-2005, 12:44 PM

I didn't see much of Aucoin when he was in Vancouver, when he played for the Islanders I thought he was good but not spectacular. He seems to have built his rep on a few solid seasons.

As for Khabibulin, he may be seeing a lot of rubber, but regardless, that save % is brutal. I know that bad defenses give up a lot of strong chances, but without having seen any Blackhawks games yet this year, I'd have to say it doesn't look like he's playing well. If folks that watch the game say he's out of position and allowing soft goals, I could believe it. You'd have to wonder why though, as Khabibulin was a legitimate top goaltender at one time. Work ethic perhaps?

Lehtonen is a stud. He'll be fine, I think.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:36 PM

I think Carolina is more like LA and Philly, they added Stillman, Whitney, Tverdosky, and others.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Carolina is more like LA and Philly, they added Stillman, Whitney, Tverdosky, and others.

[/ QUOTE ]

And in regards to Ottawa, you've got to admit the Heatley-Hossa trade was a bit of a shake-up.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can somebody find me a worse goalie than Nikolai Khabibulan?

3-8, 4.09 GAA, .843 Save %, $6.75 Millon per year.

Yes, the team in front of him is not playing well, but not nearly this bad. He's getting into a habit of giving up weak goals, especially in the first 5 shots of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Patrick Lalime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding ding ding!

He's being exposed as a fraud in St. Louis. In Ottawa he had a strong "defence first" team in front of him that kept him from facing too many shot, and who were great at clearing rebounds. Ottawa has had a few goalies who have come through here who have looked better than they really were thanks to the rest of the team. Almost all of them have fizzled once they left Ottawa.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And in regards to Ottawa, you've got to admit the Heatley-Hossa trade was a bit of a shake-up.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the trade that people will point to if Ottawa wins the cup this year. Heatley loves being in Ottawa, and from all reports the rest of the team love having him. Hossa is a great player, but he was just another European hired gun who didn't really care enough about winning the cup. Guys like Hossa, Bonk, and Rachunek were the reason Ottawa couldn't beat Toronto in the playoffs year after year. Those guys are gone now.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:06 PM

Who gave Nashville their first loss (in Nashville no less)?

The Oil.

Who stopped the Red Wings winning streak in The Joe?

The Oil.

Fire-wagon hockey is back!

The Oil won their first 3 games, lost the next 7, now have won 5 in a row. 60% of these games were on the road.

Watching these guys skate, pass and shoot reminds me of what hockey used to be like. Entertaining and fun.

Getting a guy like Pronger to play 30 mins a night and pass the puck like its on a string helps.

If the Oil had a 1st rate goalie and good first line centerman, I would pick them to go deep.

That is all.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 11-07-2005, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Getting a guy like Pronger to play 30 mins a night and pass the puck like its on a string helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its time to stop playing NHL xx on Playstation. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]