Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 05:46 AM

Default overcalls.... incorrect?

I was going overcalls on the river, however it seemed to pretty much backfire so i'm wondering if I should raise the turn and come out betting on the river instead?

Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: branden is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, branden checks.

Flop: (5.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
branden checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, Button checks.

Turn: (2.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
branden checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, MP3 folds, Button calls, branden calls, MP1 calls.

River: (6.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
branden checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, branden calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB
Old 09-01-2005, 05:52 AM

Default Re: overcalls.... incorrect?

I would have went for the check raise on the turn, you'd have had everyone trapped already for one bet and they're likely to call one more. Atfter the river blank you have the nut straight and at worst you're splitting the pot: get as much money is as you can.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:07 AM

Agreed. I just thought i remembered SSHE discussing overcalls for situations similar to this one and thought i'd try it, but I don't think it ended up working very well. Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:11 AM

I would always always bet the turn. Wouldn't it feel terrible if it was checked around on the turn with the nut straight? Since you checked, you really have to check-raise. Someone who called one bet, is going to call one more. Bet the river as well. What makes you think MP1 and MP2 are going to call even one bet on the river? They haven't shown any interest in this pot at any point. You lost a looot of bets in this hand. Next time, bet.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:20 AM

come out betting on the turn. you can't give flush draws more free cards and i doubt anyone's giving credit for a straight. sux if they fold, but you'll be happy they do when all you do have is a T [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]