Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 05:06 PM

Default Playing rebuy tourneys? Is it worth it?

hey,
just played in my first rebuy tourney just on a whim. It was a low buyin tourney 10+1, but the play was pretty attrocious. One guy at the table decided to go allin everyhand preflop till he built up his chip stack/pretty bad postflop play etc. So my question is are these tourneys worth it in the long run? it seems like its a lot easier to lose your stack when most peoople have no qualms making dumb calls.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Playing rebuy tourneys? Is it worth it?

People only play like this until the rebuy period is over. If you can catch a good starting hand you can push and people will call. If you lose you can rebuy. Before the break is a good time to play super conservative. I usually get my starting stack of 1500 up to around 8-10k playing really tight and letting everyone else bet themselves into a hole preflop when I have the goods. AA-JJ are good for starters. AK isn't too bad either. People are going to play like maniacs because they know they can rebuy.

Rebuys just mean more money for the total pot.

When the rebuy period is over, you will hopefully have a good stack to work with because all the maniacs will have big bloated stacks due to the rebuys. And, if you don't you should still have around 10BB left to work with.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:18 PM

Very worth it.

Rebuy right away and play position poker and you will have a stack by the end. You WANT people making dumb calls right? Limp late and go all-in with the top 4 holdings or so and you should be set. Just as easy as that. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Brad
Old 07-27-2005, 05:26 PM

Rebuys are so worth it. You get a bigger payout with less players. Also some players when they get knocked out they don't rebuy and are out. I love rebuys and satellites.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:26 PM

If you don't find the answer to this question self-evident, then you seriously need to either figure it out or stop playing poker.

You want people making bad, dumb calls. It's how you make money. Yes you're going to take some bad beats, but hey *you can rebuy too*. This is why I love rebuy tournaments. People play dumb and if I do get sucked out on, i'm not dead. Take every rebuy and add-on you can.

[ QUOTE ]
hey,
just played in my first rebuy tourney just on a whim. It was a low buyin tourney 10+1, but the play was pretty attrocious. One guy at the table decided to go allin everyhand preflop till he built up his chip stack/pretty bad postflop play etc. So my question is are these tourneys worth it in the long run? it seems like its a lot easier to lose your stack when most peoople have no qualms making dumb calls.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-27-2005, 05:29 PM

It is normally the best players who are playing like maniacs in the 10+1 during the rebuy period. Look for 'pbdrunks' on the next stars rebuy... He moves in with any 2 cards preflop to create ridiculous amounts of action. He is a very good player however and knows that he is dangerous after the rebuy period with a large stack. The best players take it upon themselves to create the action at their table.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:31 PM

If you can get through a few showdowns without being sucked out on in a $10 rebuy and take your add-on, you've just paid $30 or so entry fee into a tournamnt where most players have paid $70 or so. Not such a bad thing.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is normally the best players who are playing like maniacs in the 10+1 during the rebuy period. Look for 'pbdrunks' on the next stars rebuy... He moves in with any 2 cards preflop to create ridiculous amounts of action. He is a very good player however and knows that he is dangerous after the rebuy period with a large stack. The best players take it upon themselves to create the action at their table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shhhhhhhhh
Old 07-27-2005, 06:55 PM

ah thanks.

do all you guys generally rebuy right away?
Old 07-27-2005, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hey,

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the players are too bad for you to have an edge. Try playing the higher buy in tournaments where all the players are good, so you can have the greatest edge. Makes sense right?