Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 01:01 AM

Default Nut straight on the turn

Not sure if I played this one right. comments appreciated

Party Poker (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666"> Convertor error. I limp UTG1 with AQo (I'm sorry) MP1 limps, both blinds join.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks.

Not much here, planning to fold to any bet more than 1 bb. Definitely not planning on betting.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB bets $1, I call MP1 minraises. SB folds, BB calls and I raise it to 9 putting MP a little less than half in. MP calls.

I have the nuts on the turn and my only worry is the flush draw, or maybe a set pairing to a boat on the river (doubt that one) BB's $1 bet is probably a weak pair, nothing, or a flush draw. I call hoping to keep MP1 and have BB bet into me again so I can raise it to 5 (or more depending on his bet) on a non-flush turn. However MP1minraises, which tells me he likes his hand. Now I reraise to $9 because I think he'll call it, and plan on setting him all in on any river. I know my hand is better than his now, and I don't think he was raising a flush draw so now I'm trying to commit him to go all in.

River: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
I put him all in for $13 more.

Final Pot:
Old 07-17-2005, 01:58 AM

Default Re: Nut straight on the turn

What level is this? What was the pot's size on the turn?
Old 07-17-2005, 02:43 AM

25NL, pot size should be $1
Old 07-17-2005, 02:46 AM

Raise BB initially. Consider raising pre.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:54 AM

Raise the turn when BB bets. Then raise again when MP raises that raise. Get it all in on the river.

Edit: You don't have to raise again when MP RR's you on the turn. Just make sure that getting it in on the river isn't too awkward in terms of pot size.

-T
Old 07-17-2005, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I limp UTG1 with AQo (I'm sorry)

[/ QUOTE ]

seeing as you're already sorry about it I won't say another word on the topic

[ QUOTE ]
I know my hand is better than his now, and I don't think he was raising a flush draw so now I'm trying to commit him to go all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like your turn play... i think some posters would advocate a raise, instead of your innitial call on the turn, but i like the turn call.
The bet size isn't huge, and it allows other players to try and take the pot here with worse hands. it also allows BB to try and bluff into you on the river.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:00 PM

i like raising the turn. 9$ bet might be too big. a 5-6$ bet screw up flush draw odds and should be more likely to get called. since the flop got checked around and then the turn club appears, you should definetly consider being against a flush draw

with the texture of thta flop, i think its likely you are against 2pair or a K-high straight and i like the idea of fast playing