Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2004, 03:42 AM

Default Top Two Pair on a monochrome board and a lot of action...

This hand came up at my Ocean's 11, 2/3 NL game a few hours ago that I thought was fairly interesting. I'm not sure how well I played this pretty much on any street after the flop.

Villain1 (~350) is fairly straightforward and is just having a good time. Villain2 (~400) is more interesting; at the time, my impression of him was TAG'ish. He's shown down some good hands but nothing very tricky.

Hero (~350) is in SB w/ J,To. UTG+1 calls (3), Villain 2(MP3) calls, I complete, Villain1(BB) raises to 10. UTG+1 folds, Villain 2 calls, I call.

Flop: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (Pot ~35)

I check, Villain1 bets 10, Villain2 raises to 50, I re-raise to 100, Villain1 thinks for a long time and folds, Villain2 calls.

Turn: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (Pot ~ 250)

I bet 100, Villain2 calls.

River: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check, Villain2 checks behind.

On the flop, I put Villain2 on two overcards and maybe some sort of a flush draw combination, but when he called my bet on the turn I decided it's not that impossible that he flopped a set, and wasn't playing the hand very fast unless I improved. I didn't, and on the river I settled on check-calling. Also, what about my turn bet?

Thoughts? Comments? Thank you,
Kirk R.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:23 AM

Default Re: Top Two Pair on a monochrome board and a lot of action...

Kirkrrr-

Were you going to fold the turn if he put you in? If not, I think you should have bet more - probably all-in - to get him to consider folding his overcard draw or at least make him pay too much if he wants to come along.

Then again, I'm not sure how strong your flop read was. If you thought set and flush were also strong possibilities then I'm not sure what you should have done.

Just my two cents (even though I don't really belong in this forum at a level above observer [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img])...

Che
Old 09-07-2004, 06:01 AM

im not a fan of the flop min raise... you were going to fold if someone moved in i assume? i dont see why else you would raise so little... the turn is terrible... you priced in a guy with one big spade to draw, now you have 250 left, there is 250 in the pot, a blank comes on the turn and you bet 100??? why? were you going to fold if he moved in (terrible)? you thought he had a set? highly unlikely given the action and youre paying him off anyway... if he makes his hand on the end, youre effed. if he misses you dont get his last 150. not pushing on this turn is very bad.
i see two turn options... push or check/fold (if youre sure of a made flush)
Old 09-07-2004, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you were going to fold if someone moved in i assume?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I had no intention of folding, especially if he moved in since I was 95% sure he didn't flop a flush. However, the way he bet could very easily mean a set he's trying to protect on a monochrome board, or a big flush draw. My main dilemma in that hand was that I really couldn't put Villain2 on a specific hand.

[ QUOTE ]
you priced in a guy with one big spade to draw, now you have 250 left, there is 250 in the pot, a blank comes on the turn and you bet 100??? why? were you going to fold if he moved in (terrible)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do agree that my turn bet was weak... in retrospect, it should've been in the 150-200 range, at least.

[ QUOTE ]
thought he had a set? highly unlikely given the action...

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I see a set very likely here. Please explain why you think it's not.

Kirk R.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:00 PM

Judging by your post I put the BB villain on QQ/KK/AA with a big spade. You probably won the hand. But I think you could have taken much better lines. 2 pair with the spades on the board? On the flop I would just lead out like you nailed the flop. I would play those 2 pair fast. I would want to know right now if I am behind. Id fold to a big raise to a caller given the turn and river im going to probably going to pot commit myself on the turn barring a read.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:32 PM

betting the turn this small was the worst thing you could have done. i understand that you are unsure of where you stand and at the same time want to protect your hand, but if youre committing yourself on this small bet youre betting off pushing here. dont forget, checking the turn is OK here to keep the pot small. you then of course have to call whatever bet he fires at you on the river as long as the spade doesnt come.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:37 AM

I don't like putting money into suited flops when I don't have that suit... call me a pansy, but I play this straightforwardly and cautiously: I bet the pot on the flop, then check/call the turn, then check/call the river (or lead out if opponent checked the turn).

I don't like your flop min-check-raise or the not-big-enough turn bet.