Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2003, 09:52 AM

Default Today\'s O8 hand- How valuable are a number of iffy draws

Paradise 2/4

I open limp in EP with Ah, Ac, Qc, 6h. 5 others see the flop for 1 bet.

Flop: 8h, 7c, 3h

Checked around.

Turn: 9s (8h, 7c, 3h)

SB checks, BB bets, I fold (but I wasn't sure if I made the right play).

Here's what confused me about the hand. The flush draw had some value, but even if the heart came I'd split a small pot. My A6 low is marginal at best, but I may have the best low because only 2 more aces are in the deck, and an A2 would have probably bet and the 3h spoils A3xx. I folded because my hand wasn't too great, it could always get raised behind me, and the big blind bettor was a pretty good player.

Turns out the big blind outplayed me. He took low on river with 24xx... but do two or more iffy draws make hands like this worth a call?
Old 12-10-2003, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Today\'s O8 hand- How valuable are a number of iffy draws

calling with iffy draws with lots of info is ok to do but the problem with this hand is you didnt raise b4 the flop in EP and with that flop you shouldve bet
Old 12-10-2003, 12:28 PM

This is a hard hand to play requiring good judgement but you can't limp in with that hand from early position you either fold or raise, you don't want many players in the hand and you want to get rid of people with lows that are not great but better than yours. I would also bet the flop as the preflop raiser many will think you have A 2 and the 2 4 will fold.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:46 PM

With that number of players still in the pot, I'm still in there drawing for the hearts and MAYBE raising to try to knock out the 2nd nut lows. Of course if you're up against nut low all a raise will do is knock out other people and you're still drawing at a flush (though your 2 Aces still MIGHT win high if you can get someone with the idiot end of the straight to fold too).
Old 12-10-2003, 05:53 PM

The play of this hand is very dependant on the nature of the table and the callers. Since you have 5 others seeing the flop, this is a very loose table and probably like most low limit O/8 games - people will call to the river with any type of draw to 2nd nut high or low. With that in mind, those who recommend raising to drive out the competition haven't played LL O/8 - it won't work!
I would play AAds in ANY position, even for multiple bets. This hand has so many ways of making the nut high that IMHO it is worth playing.

Your fold is hard to argue with. Your point of drawing to a small pot is excellent. If you did decide to play on, DO NOT RAISE to drive out players. You would want to have as many people putting their chips into the pot as possible.
As to being outplayed by the BB, he made a bad play for 1/2 of a small pot. Not a very good strategy at any stakes. Tell BB he made a great play and hope he repeats it so you can pound him when you have the nuts [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2003, 10:09 AM

clear fold. had this been a shorthanded pot you would have played it more aggressively, but in a six-way pot it is ridiculous to call in a small pot with such a flimsy hand. i wouldn't even consider that A6 low a possibility when there are five opponents.