Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 10:27 PM

Default Still learning preflop plays....

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls

Villian is quite agro, (50/20), yay or nay? And why?
Old 08-15-2005, 10:39 PM

Default Re: Still learning preflop plays....

I hate this situation, and if I'm not in the mood I'd fold, but if I played I think I'd reraise and add the BB's money to the pot.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:05 PM

If this was unsuited you'd have any easy fold. But because it's suited it makes things a bit more difficult.

Opp here is quite loose, but his aggression isn't that high. His pfr numbers are only slightly on the high side (although I suspect for 3/6 a 20% number is very high compared to the average player).

One thing I'd want to know is where his aggression numbers come from. Does he try to blind steal a lot or are is his blind steal number also about 20? If his blind steal number is significantly higher that means he plays position in his raises and you should give more credence to this particular raise, since he's not in a steal position. Another consideration is the number of hands that you're basing this on.

If I choose to play this (and I might, although it's close) I would tend to semi-cold-call and try to bring BB along. I want to jack the pot in case I hit. I want all the implied odds I can get. If there was a cold-caller in front of me I'd be much more inclined to play (better implied odds).

The hand is weak and speculative. You're out of position for the rest of the hand (even more so if you 3 bet). Nothing wrong with folding this and waiting for a better spot.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:08 PM

Nay, this isn't a steal, he will VERY often have you dominated. And the fact that your hand is suited doesn't help greatly HU.

I fold this pretty much every time.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:15 PM

Thought so. This guy isnt a good poker player, but he knows about blind stealing. I guess its ok to give up your blinds. Does the decision change if I'm in the BB though? What if he's on the button?
Old 08-15-2005, 11:16 PM

I fold from the SB, and call/c/r just about any flop. The flop plan can change depending on how he plays postflop and what the flop is.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I guess its ok to give up your blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's especially true of the $1 small blind in the $3/6 game because a great deal of the time that dollar becomes the rake, so you've actually got nothing to defend.

Guy.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:02 AM

calling is a shocker

there are 2 reasons to invest money from this spot

the first one is that you think you have the best hand - you have little reason to think that this is the best hand even if the raiser was more aggro

the second reason is because you think you can win without getting to a showdown - your out of position and by calling your inviting the BB to call too - out of position multiway is not the place to win hands without a showdown

never think about protecting your SB - think about the better pre-flop odds your getting by playing pre-flop from the blinds but mostly remember all those hands where it felt like you had no clue what was happening and didnt know what to do and recognise that those times happen the most when your first to act

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 08-16-2005, 08:18 AM

Just a note that when I posted this reply I completely forgot about the blind structure at 3/6. That makes this an easy fold out of the SB.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:55 AM

Here's one I had this morning that I just froze and had no clue what to do. Everyone is an idiot, although UTG has been raising a good bit the past couple orbits. The blinds are loose, although they'll likely fold the real cheese if faced with a 3bet.

3/6 Party, 6 handed

Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Preflop: <font color="red">UTG raises,</font> MP calls, CO folds, Hero...

I really had no idea if I should CC, 3bet, or fold. I don't particularly want it 3way, but CC'ing gives me the willies and is something I almost never do, and JTs seems like too much to fold if its going to be 4 or 5 to the flop.