Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 10:22 PM

Default Re: AQo and AJo question

[ QUOTE ]
i definetly play AQos and its definetly a profitable hand

i dont have good stats on AJos beceause i avoid that hand

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel more comfortable raising with AQs and AJs, although I guess there really isn't a huge difference, so I might be wrong in that feeling. But I was specifically wondering how you guys handle AQo and AJo in early position. For what it's worth both of those hands are profitable for me, I just don't raise them in early position and I was wondering if I should.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:24 PM

Maybe my problem is I very rarely do 2-3xbb raises, almost always 4x bb and sometimes 5xbb. Maybe that scares away hands I want calling... Would raising less with those hands in ep make much of a difference long term?
Old 07-13-2005, 10:28 PM

there is a big difference between AJ and AQ.

at the surface, there seems to be little difference as you are just moving down 1 hand but moving down from AQ to AJ means alot.

Its not just that you'll be dominated by AQ now but you'll also be dominated by JJ now. In addition, hands that you used to dominate like KQ, are now almost coinflips with you. Also, there are times when flop comes KJx, QJX, where you can't comfortably play on whereas with AQ you only have to worry about KQx.

I think the whole deal with whether you should raise AJ UTG depends on how your table reacts to UTG raises with hands like KQ and AQ.

if they are tight enough to fold those to preflop raises, then UTG raise with AJ is correct.

since that usually isn't the case in SSNL, its usually best not to play AJ UTG.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:31 PM

are you raising enough?? if I'm first in I'll usually raise AQ to 5-6xBB if I'm in CO or button sometimes I'll make it 4xBB, this makes it look like a steal and gives me more action...
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I'm missing some post flop skills that make AQ profitable or I have the wrong image, the only bluffing I do is continuation bets

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to extract a lot of value from hands like KQ, AJ, AT when I hit an A or Q with AQ... the trick is that most AKs will reraise you preflop defining their hand and allowing you to get away on an A84 flop when you pot it and get raised by a passive player...

you may not have a large enough sample size, but AQ should be profitable from all positions.

-little fishy
Old 07-13-2005, 10:34 PM

no, 4xBB and 5xbb are correct.

you do not want multiple hands calling behind you.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe my problem is I very rarely do 2-3xbb raises

[/ QUOTE ]

this is not a problem... 2-3xBB is a weak raise EP that is begging for callers and suckouts who are actually getting the odds to suck out on you
Old 07-13-2005, 11:19 PM

agreed that theres ia huge difference between AJ and AQ. when dealing at with the "top", or high ranked cards, going up one level is huge.

BIG difference between AK and AQ. BIG difference between AQ and AJ. just like theres a big difference between AA and KK, or KK and QQ.

still, AQ is strong enough to play. just don't get attached to it because not only do the AK-cracking hands kill it, but AK and KK can frequently get you in trouble as well
Old 07-14-2005, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no, 4xBB and 5xbb are correct.

you do not want multiple hands calling behind you.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the limit, I suppose. If you are playing a .10 cent BB, "standard" is different than it would be at a $2 BB. You can't raise 5xBB in a 1-2 game (the ones I play in anyways, each table is different I suppose) and get a normal amount of action for your big hands. With say a $2 BB:

2xBB = miniraise always weak, no matter what level, should be avoided and thrown in as a changeup from time to time only.
3xBB = beginning of standard. Here is where pot odds become a decision if it is folded around to the BB. Smaller than 3x should be an autocall with almost any 2 if it's just raiser and BB.
3.5xBB = a number I am becoming increasedly more comfortable with.
4xBB = if the table can handle it, fine.
5xBB = pot building with hands that may have to be played OOP agst the better hands that will get involved for this much.
>5xBB = now we are getting plain silly.

My general thoughts (not specifically directed at you amoeba)--There is nothing wrong with picking a number and opening with it every time no matter what your holding or position. You should never open differently based upon your holding. But, I can see that approach being OK based upon your position. Raise a little more early to get less callers.

We want action when we open for x times the BB with AA, so we have to compromise a little when we open with lesser holdings like AQo or 99 by opening for the same amount as we would if we have AA. (the kind of player who opens for 6xBB with his middle pockets is pretty easy to read) For me, it's 3xBB or 3.5xBB 95% of the time when I am opening, and more than half of that time is "only" 3xBB. Only going higher if the table has shown itself to be able to consistently give play to 4xBB or higher.

(When I play a level lower, with a $1 BB, 4xBB is my choice, because that gets the same amount of action that a 3xBB does one level higher. It's depends alot on which level we are talking about)