Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2003, 07:24 PM

Default Rush controversy

I think most people who came out against Rush didn't even see the show. Rush just didn't come out of nowhere and say this. They were discussing if McNabb was overrated and why. What has never been addressed here is whether or not his comments had any merit. The NFL is a league that in the past year fined the Detroit Lions for not INTERVIEWING a black head coach candidate. Would it be racist to say the league and/or media wants to see a black head coach succeed. The Lions knew who they were going to hire but the league wants stuff to look good. Media members have gone out and blamed Michael Irvin and Tom Jackson for not rushing to the defense of McNabb. Did anyone ever think that maybe they understood what Rush was saying. While they disagreed with Rush they didn't take it to be racially motivated, and it wasn't intended to be. We live in a time where anything you say is twisted into something it is not but actions don't need to be accounted for. If a memeber a ESPN (black or white) where to be arrested tomorrow for beating their wife they probably wouldn't lose their job...Didn't Michael Irvin stab a teammate once?...I love Sportcenter and Stu Scott but I have heard many "whiteboy" references but those are ok???
Does anyone think the media doesn't love whiteguys doing well in the NBA...anyone think the media might overrate one because he is more marketable...just a thought...Anyways I don't always(if ever) agree with Rush politically but just because we don't vote the same way doesn't mean I have to react irrationally to remarks taken out of context...I think ESPN will be hurt by the loss but I respect Rush for resigning and keeping the show about football and not a Media circus...Others could learn from him.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:02 PM

Default Re: Rush controversy

Rush is a jerk.

Most of us would agree on this.

But, as usual the media blows it out of proportion, not giving all the details on the context, it's not newsworthy then I guess.

Plus the show he was on should be trying to get him back because it would probably triple it's ratings after this publicity. Rush haters are many, and waiting for him to burst should be a bettable spectator sport. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

When pray tell is the media going to govern itself better?

NEVER seems to be the correct answer...

The US media often does us a huge disservice on some of the things it does report, especially when it comes to this latest WAR ON TERRORISM.

-t

Old 10-04-2003, 08:17 PM

People forget Rush is an entertainer. He has an act that sells and it drives people who don't get it crazy. That is part of the fun. Libearals hate him because they have no one comparable to him in a medium Rush dominates. Rush is successful because he has a loyal flock of sheep that follow his word blindly and a large audience who thinks he is satan. The group that benifits the most are those like me who can laugh at those people.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:32 PM

Sadly, I don't think it's an ACT, it's been going on too long.

The latest drug fiasco with RUSH is rather amusing add-on also.

Look up hypocrite in a dictionary and you should see his face.

-t

Old 10-04-2003, 08:35 PM

hopefully it ruins his carrer as advertisers arent likely to want to be affiliated with any show he is on after all this.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:59 PM

This won't ruin his career at all. If he does have a problem with pain killers it will help him and other with the same problems. It is sad to see people take delight in someone's personal addiction but i guess it is ok if you disagree with them politically.
Old 10-04-2003, 10:41 PM

You really do spread the love dont you?
Old 10-04-2003, 11:03 PM

What is amusing about a guy's drug problem?

Assuming that he did the drugs (which I do) why does that make him a hypocrite?

To me, the real problem is not the drugs. If you have ever taken Oxycontin (which I did for a back injury) you will know how incredibly addicting the pills are. The real problem is that he involved other people and he was willing to put them at risk.

I have heard several conservative commentators say that Rush needs to go away if he is guilty. They are willing to sacrifice their number one guy because of principle. Funny, I dont remember a single liberal willing to do that with Clinton.
Old 10-04-2003, 11:18 PM

i dont take delight in his addiction, but i take delight in the end results. it is just for him to get the same rewards as he dishes out. some people are not good people. and there is no reason to root for them.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:21 AM

Apparently the ESPN crew on the pre-game show got a lot of criticism for not confronting Rush Limbaugh on the show. Tom Jackson seemed to be very upset and hurt by the storm created by the controversy. I'm sure the criticism was especially hurtful from civil rights groups. I'm wondering if it was anyone besides Limbaugh or someone of his ilk if the remark gets the attention it does. I will say that IMO Limbaugh had planned making a remark like this well in advance to see if he how far he could go and publicize himself. Perhaps ESPN ought to try Jesse Jackson next as a commentator.