Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 01:13 AM

Default PS $500K hand, help me lose less $$ next time.

Background: PS $500K, I am ranked about 70th with 2x the avg stack and 1000 ppl left. I don't have a whole lot of hands on the person I get involved with although PT is saying VPIP of 21 and PFR of 7.5 (puts money into pot 21 % of time and raises preflop 7.5 %).

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP2 (t9983)
MP3 (t12810)
CO (t7915)
Button (t10048)
SB (t8052)
BB (t7815)
Hero (t15060)
UTG+1 (t14430)
MP1 (t6570)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t2800</font>, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, Hero calls t1600.

Flop: (t5775) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t2800</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t6000</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t11605</font>, Hero calls t5605.

Turn: (t28985) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t28985) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t28985

My original line was: I didn't like the reraise preflop and put him on AK, AA, KK, QQ, JJ. With this player I didn't think TT would be in there, but it could be TT, 99, 88 I guess if my read was wrong. So going to the flop, I was thinking I would rather see the Q than the A in case I was against AK and then that flop came. By the flop, the pot was 8k and so a pot sized bet would be 75% of my chips, so I decide to check and see what he does. When he bets 2800, which was less than half of the pot, I wasn't sure if he had AA/KK/QQ or AK/JJ so my though was to check raise to gain information. If he pushed after the c/r then I was beat and could lay it down. Of course he did push and I donkey called anyhow even though I knew I was beat.

Please teach me the best way to lose the least in this situation. Bet out on flop? how much? Check and call(seems weak and I let myself get bluffed by AK/JJ/TT)? Check and Fold(seems weak/tight). Any analysis welcome. Kinda sore about this one since I would have most likely cashed if I had played this one better.

Results in white below.

<font color="white"> Villian has Ac As </font>
Old 12-12-2005, 01:23 AM

Default Re: PS $500K hand, help me lose less $$ next time.

Don't use half your stack for information purposes. This hand is played fine.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:51 AM

Are you saying I shouldn't have folded for the push after my C/R? I figured that was my obvious mistake (calling), but it felt like I could have lost less somehow and still had a shot at cashing.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My original line was: I didn't like the reraise preflop and put him on AK, AA, KK, QQ, JJ

[/ QUOTE ]

So fold preflop. You listed all the reasons why in the rest of your post.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:22 AM

Thanks, rereading what I wrote (and what you quoted), I am a dog to every possible hand he could have so why not fold PF. I just thought I wouldn't ever fold AQs preflop for a normal reraise but it is probably the best play in this particular case.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:05 AM

If you raise UTG with AQ against a sane opponet, who reraises giving you a good price alarm bells should be going off. Folding is certainly an option. I'll let others calculate the math if that's sound.

You don't have enough chips to checkraise. Having seen the flop I would lead out and if he raises I'd probably fold.
But once you checkraise you're in a spot where it would be real tough to fold.

Bruce
Old 12-12-2005, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, rereading what I wrote (and what you quoted), I am a dog to every possible hand he could have so why not fold PF. I just thought I wouldn't ever fold AQs preflop for a normal reraise but it is probably the best play in this particular case.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a normal reraise. This is someone who is reraising a 3xBB raise from UTG and is doing so from UTG+1 at a spot in the tournament where either player can easily go home. Moreover, he is raising an amount that almost requires you to call. Alarm bells indeed.

Tough to do, but a preflop fold here is the play.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:41 AM

I think this is a pretty easy fold preflop to the reraise.