Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Serious 6 Max

I'm working my way through 1-2 6 max and while I own 40 poker books, the total pages devoted to this type of game are few indeed. What's new and decent?

Second topic. What error, made by your typical opponent, do you believe contribute most to your poker earn? While my experience here is small it looks like they simply play too many starters and go too far with them. I see folks taking off the turn card on unraised pots with one overcard and no backdoor draws or two middle unpaired cards such as QT on a A 5 3 flop. This is poker suicide. Am I missing something here?
Old 07-13-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Serious 6 Max

40 books is overkill. You'd be better served just reading these forums and theory of poker.

-SmileyEH
Old 07-13-2005, 05:12 PM

I like HFAP's section on shorthanded games (and have no idea why anybody whould have 40 poker books). Combined with SSH it's a decent primer.

Next step is to jump in and start posting hands. Shorthanded is less formulaic than full ring play, so apart from general guidelines you aren't going to get much good info about starting hands, etc. It reminds me of like the good books on NL/PL games. You don't get a bunch of if/then/win advice.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:16 PM

Must already have read hepfap/short-handed.

http://www.flopturnriver.com/6-Max-Limit-Guide.html

which is mentioned in the newbie 6m guide post (or at least the/some content from it) here a day or two ago. I'm glad to know if gets a 2+2 stamp of approval of sorts.

There's also some 6m threads everyone points to. I haven't found any printed material so am making my way best as possible with what I'm including here:

Mike
Old 07-13-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While my experience here is small it looks like they simply play too many starters and go too far with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ayup.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I see folks taking off the turn card on unraised pots with ... two middle unpaired cards such as QT on a A 5 3 flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm also new to 1/2 6 max and my introduction to the subject was HEPFAP. While I probably wouldn't do what I quoted above, I think I would see the turn for one small bet in a raised pot with that hand, provided it was heads up or maybe 3-handed on the flop. But I'm new here, so maybe I'm missing something.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Second topic. What error, made by your typical opponent, do you believe contribute most to your poker earn?

[/ QUOTE ]
Playing too passively.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:04 PM

I'm guessing here but I'd bet I've been playing poker ten years longer than you've been alive. I've been professional since 1995. 40 books is nothing when you're serious.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:05 PM

Thank you.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing here but I'd bet I've been playing poker ten years longer than you've been alive. I've been professional since 1995. 40 books is nothing when you're serious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you got the age right. I've found these forums far more useful than the books which inspired them. Of course, reading a book like Theory of Poker gives you the tools and the concepts to analyze hands, but only discussing thousands of hands allows you to apply the concepts. I feel like that many books is just too many different takes on the game to be useful. But whatever works for you.

-SmileyEH