Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-13-2005, 12:28 AM

Default Hands from the Bellagio ME when in a \"short\" stack

We started with 30k in chips, in the following hands I have between 7 and 9k, not precisely short, but short in relation to the people in the table.

Hand#1

I have about 9k, blinds are 100-200 with 25 ante

UTG limps, David Levi limps, I limp with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in LP; button limps, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Checked to me, I bet 700, button calls, and now UTG raises to 3200, action back to me, I have around 8k and need to call 2.5k here, what is your move?

________

Hand #2

Blinds 100-200 with 25 ante

MP raises to 1100, folded to me in the SB with QQ and about a 7k stack. Your move?

Hand #3

blinds 200-400 with 50 ante, I have a 8k stack and raise to 1600 with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] UTG; MP calls and LP calls.

Flop T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Your move?

Hand #4

I have about 7.5k with 200-400 and 50 ante; David Levi raises to 1500 in MP; I'm in LP with AQ, your move?
Old 12-13-2005, 12:38 AM

Default Re: Hands from the Bellagio ME when in a \"short\" stack

I push hands 2 and 4.

In hand 2, your hand and stack size are big enough to trap with. I would be happy taking the pot. Plus a push looks like AK or AQ and may be called by a lower pp.

In hand 4 I think you have to make a semibluff push. I don't see any point in flat calling, even with position.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:49 AM

hand 1 im folding since UTG probably has 22+ or a strong draw like 78 diamonds. There very few good turn cards for your hand so calling doesn't seem like a good option as a decent sized turn bet pot committs us if we want to play. I don't like pushing all in on the flop. We only invested 10% of our stack and can get away right here.
All these reasons plus button still to act behind us make this a flop fold.

Hand 2-A push preflop is a huge overbet, that unless you have a rep for doing it with worse hands wont get you called by much that we beat. A smaller raise makes it so we have to push every flop OOP. I guess calling is best even though we are OOP.

Hand 3 Well the pot is over 5k and we only have 6400 behind so looks like c/f or push all in. Verse two callers i think i c/f. Another 6k won't come close to busting either of them so it makes them calling you with one pair easier. I guess these problems stem from making it 4bb to go preflop. Limping or making it 3bb would probably be better as you shouldn't have much difficulty getting your stack in if you hit either way(assuming your getting it on with a 4bb raise) since you only have 20bb.

Hand 4- I don't know David Levi so i am writing my comments assuming an unknown player made this raise. I would flat call. A reraise once again needs to be push since a smaller raise forces you to push every flop he checks to you. This would give him the option of putting his $ in depending on the board. I would rather us have the option by calling preflop.

I don't play much NL or MTT so im interested in how well i evaluated these situations.
Thanks
Mike
Old 12-13-2005, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 4- I don't know David Levi so i am writing my comments assuming an unknown player made this raise. I would flat call.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you flat call, David Levi knowing your stack is most probably betting any flop.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:44 AM

There is a lot of missing information here, but going with just the information provided:

Hand 1: Fold. Unless UTG is "putting a move" on me, I have hard time believing I'm not beat. The only way to know that he isn't is to push, which is probably suicide.

Hand 2: That's a pretty big raise from MP. Very likely a "I'd like to take the blinds down w/o a fight" raise. You are very likely ahead here and this is probably a good spot to make some chips. I'd reraise to 3200.

Hand 3: Tough situation. 5900 in the pot and you have 7400 behind. A meaningful cbet here is at least 1/2 pot and that leaves you with 3500. How would you play this if you had JJ or QQ? I'd think about playing it the same way. There is nothing wrong with checking and seeing what develops either. I've seen you do exactly this in similar situations in online games.

Hand 4: I'd call 1500 for a pot of 2600 against MP here.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:04 AM

Hand #1 sucks. UTG could have anything from an overpair (77-AA) to big diamonds (or Something like A2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or 78 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img])
I just dont see him doing this enough with some one pair hand (like A6) to justify calling, plus you have someone to act behind you. I can fold.

Hand 2: I think i push. Alternative -call and c/r all-in on a non-A board

Hand 3: I think i check here. I really..really hate this spot. What you do next is based on the action that follows you (cop out i know)

Hand 4: Push i think. Position really doesn't matter if Levi is betting any flop, because you can't really tell what hit him.
Edit- confused villan
Old 12-13-2005, 02:14 AM

Hand 1: Is UTG any good? He can have a bunch of stuff you're flipping with and a couple of underpairs vs...I don't know, I have a problem putting him on an overpair that didn't raise PF *or* bet the flop. I think I'd be willing to flip vs. his range here because I can't imagine he has a big hand very often...so I call and get it in on most turns/maybe try to represent the flush if one hits and he seems weak.

Hand 2: Again, any read? A raise gives your hand away...I think I'd take the chance and just call if he is good.

Hand 3: Barf, check/fold.

Hand 4: Easy push, Levi's call was godawful.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:17 AM

To make a long story short, fold, push, Yuck...ummm...ugh...push, push.

Hand 1:

It's hard for me to believe UTG is messing around there so you're really only beating 77, 88, and the flush draw. He very easily could've limped a big pair UTG and missed his chance to repop it preflop. Also could've flopped a set. You're not so deep into the pot that you're stuck there, and I don't think you have an edge here.

Hand 2: I want to raise, but I can't really do it without going all-in. So I go all-in and hope he calls.

Hand 3: I say push because they certainly have reason to put you on a big pair here. The flop looks like it would miss them more often than not, but if somebody has the balls to call you with one pair here, you can always fall back on the suckout. I don't hate a check/fold or checking to see what develops, but you could have the best hand here, you should have fold equity here, and the pot would look very nice in your stack. All in all, this is a bitch of a decision.

Hand 4: Looks like a pretty standard push.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:59 AM

Hand 1 is the most interesting hand. I'm not real sure what
UTG's cr means. Is he on a draw, did he flop a set, or does he have a big pair? I really don't know, but you're getting over 2:1 calling. Against his range of hands you're probably a dog, but with the odds you're getting I'd be willing to play for my entire stack. Another thing to consider is even though not desperate, based on the size
of blinds, you are in bad shape relative to the rest of the field. This may be one of your best opportunities to double up getting a decent price.

Before acting I would factor how tough the field is, how difficult my table is, what my table image is like, and even
when my table, if it's lousy, is about to break.

I believe this to be close pushing without any other factors.

Bruce
Old 12-13-2005, 04:06 AM

1. Push
2. Push
3. CheckFold
4. Push