Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-19-2005, 02:29 PM

Default Gigabet FT - Hand 27 of the FT

[ QUOTE ]
Hand #27 - Darrell Dicken has the button in seat 1, Dicken raises to $150,000, and Antonius calls from the small blind. The flop comes Jd-10d-10s, Antonius checks, Dicken bets $250,000, and Antonius calls. The turn card is the 10h, putting three tens on the board. Antonius checks, Dicken bets $350,000, and Antonius calls. The river card is the Ad, putting three diamonds out there. (Of course a flush would be pretty vulnerable with three of a kind on the board.) Antonius bets $600,000, and Dicken folds. Antonius picks up a pot worth over $1.55 million.

Expect to see that hand on the Travel Channel when this airs next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Giga : 3,5M
Antonious : 3,2M
Blinds: 25k - 50k, antes = 5000.

His preflop raise could be done with air, his flop bet could be a CB, but would he fire a second barrel on this turn?

Pot on the flop : 380,000

A bet of 250,000 looks fine (2/3)

pot on the turn : 880,000

A bet of 350,000 looks weak (2/5)

this bet looks like he is scared and don't want to play for his whole stack.

I don't know the cards of any players but what do you think of this hand?

Giga : I have no idea (maybe low suited connectors)
Antoniius : Ax

Would this make sense? Would a bet of 500,000 on the turn be a better bet than 350,000.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Gigabet FT - Hand 27 of the FT

[ QUOTE ]
Would this make sense? Would a bet of 500,000 on the turn be a better bet than 350,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends. By making that bet he is offering about 3.5:1 with one card to come. He could be pure bluffing or semi-bluffing thinking that he has a 1 in 4 shot at getting a fold. Or he could be strategically trying to represent a hand which he thinks could put the opponent at a 4:1 or higher shot, based on his assessment of the opponent's hand. Or he could actually have a hand that figures to only give the opponent 7:1 and is trying to keep the opponent in the hand by making a bad call.

This is part of the black art that I'm slowly coming to realize and accept in some of the plays that players like GigaBet, Hansen and Negreanu make. They play the hand by betting so as to appear to have a specific range of hands. Then it is incumbent upon the opponent to think about their holding in a couple of ways or more. How does it stand up against their likely real holding based on the betting pattern. How does it stand up based upon their possible "imaginary" holding that they are trying to represent. Or are the real and "imaginary" possible holdings one in the same .... a big hand.

When used properly, it is a beautiful, confusing and deadly technique. How to defeat it is a whole other matter.

The conlusion is that both players could have monsters, rags or something in between. There is no way to know without looking inside their think-boxes.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:09 PM

I think that Gigabet had a jack and knew he got rivered by Antonius.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking that a J was betting much more. You have a boat, only a T (unlikely) AA,KK, or QQ was beating you.

Betting only 350,000 with the J is playing it like WAWB, but it is not the case, Antonius has easily 3 or 6 outs. This is not the kind of hand where you try to extract more money, you take the 880,000 and are very happy to be the new Chip Leader. IMO
Old 12-19-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think Gigabet folds here with a jack. I think he was bluffing and got caught.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:37 PM

Giga was representing the J - if he had the J he's got to pay Patrick off (given Patrick might make the same bet w/ KJ or QJ as a blocking bet). When he got called on the turn he knew he was done - Patrick was clearly telling him either: "I've got one too" or "I'm happy you have a J".
Old 12-19-2005, 05:18 PM

Let's look at this from Patrick's perspective.

Now of course I'm speculating without any knowlege of any
mind games or prior battles between the two advesaries.

But Giga's flop bet means nothing. He raised BTF and this
is nothing more than a continuation bet.

Giga now makes a small bet on the turn. He's giving his
opponent better than 2:1 odds. I would speculate that
he has a very good hand or very little. I might call
and attempt to take the pot from Giga on the river even
if I have nothing.

A scare card comes on the river. I'm Patrick. Perhaps Giga
indeed had nothing. Let's bet. I'd be more inclinded
to bet now if I have nothing b/c perhaps Giga might fold a hand like Fives, although I don't think Giga would have priced Patrick in with such a hand.

If Giga had a pair I'd be surprised if he folded when Patrick springs to life.

I also don't have the benefit of how Patrick previously played Aces from the blind BTF to further confuse the issue.

Bottum line, pretty interesting and confusing at the same time without being there.

Bruce