Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Early hand in the Party 500k

also i want to address this fold preflop nonsense.

when sklansky says in his books, fold preflop to a raise with AJ, its because he assumes the people reading his book are beginners, and he doesnt think its +EV for a beginner to be mixed up postflop with a potentially dominated hand.

that being said, if you go your whole poker "career" folding potentially dominated hands, a) poker is going to be really boring, and b) you are going to be leaving a hell of a lot of chips on the table.

everyone says sklansky's books are the bible to playing perfect poker. that's just not true. they are made to try to prevent you from playing too much poker when you first start out, because you'll probably [censored] it up*. there's a reason why you'll see ted forrest call a raise in LP with QTo. it's not because ted forrest is a donkey.

* Disclaimer: I'm not all that good at poker either.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
folding that turn is downright criminal

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree now that either my turn bet should be bigger (~3/4 pot) or I should have C/R all in - in fact right after I made my small turn bet I didn't like it.

But... given that he went all in, I'm not sure what I beat that he could possibly be holding. If its not a set or 2-pair I'd be surprised. His cold-call on the flop to me is the greatest indication of this strength.

To me, this is how the hand went for him:

Flop - "Nice, I hit my set on the flop and someone raised the continuation bet, better just cold-call."

Turn - "Hmm, he bet about 1/2 pot, he must like his hand, but I'm not gonna let him draw for that cheap, how bout I bet THIS..."
Old 12-05-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
folding that turn is downright criminal

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree now that either my turn bet should be bigger (~3/4 pot) or I should have C/R all in - in fact right after I made my small turn bet I didn't like it.

But... given that he went all in, I'm not sure what I beat that he could possibly be holding. If its not a set or 2-pair I'd be surprised. His cold-call on the flop to me is the greatest indication of this strength.

To me, this is how the hand went for him:

Flop - "Nice, I hit my set on the flop and someone raised the continuation bet, better just cold-call."

Turn - "Hmm, he bet about 1/2 pot, he must like his hand, but I'm not gonna let him draw for that cheap, how bout I bet THIS..."

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly how I saw it. Not only that, his call was to your RERAISE with the original raiser still to act behind him. He likes his hand a lot.