Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Do you dump AK in bb for huge UTG raise lvl1?

A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in BB, second hand of level 1. UTG makes it 100 folded around, 85 to you in BB, whats the play?
Old 08-04-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Do you dump AK in bb for huge UTG raise lvl1?

I fold pretty quickly without a read. I hate calling so many chips out of position when I have to fold 2/3 of the time. I don't mind pushing with a read, but I have to know that he is capable of calling a push with dominated hands like AQ-AJ and KQ.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:18 PM

I smooth call here for a few reasons:

1. I don't like to risk my whole stack against a PP here (I'm better than that to give these donks a 55/45 edge on me with all my money in)
2. I'm out of position
3. Dan Harrington would also, and he's the man
Old 08-04-2005, 04:21 PM

But how often is this raise QQ-TT or AQ?
Old 08-04-2005, 04:29 PM

I fold this. You don't have a made hand yet and if you call and miss the flop, you are down 100 chips if UTG bets. For 15 chips, I don't think it's worth the risk.

Edit: What do you do if there are a bunch of limpers in level 1 and you have AK in the BB? I usually check to see a flop and bet out if I hit, check/fold if I miss.

MisterW
Old 08-04-2005, 04:39 PM

It depends what money this is at the $11/$6 i think i'm pushing all the time. At least 50% of the time I push it my opponent folds or shows me a dominated Ace.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:47 PM

pretty easy fold for me at this level if the chip stacks were at 25/50 and you having say around 600 i push.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:08 PM

I'd want to know the buyin. But a 7 BB raise UTG smells a little donkish to me. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a weaker ace here or even KJs/KQ depending on the buyin. If this is an 11 or a 22 I probably push here, but maybe I've been playing too many MTTs.

yabastid
Old 08-04-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd want to know the buyin. But a 7 BB raise UTG smells a little donkish to me. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a weaker ace here or even KJs/KQ depending on the buyin. If this is an 11 or a 22 I probably push here, but maybe I've been playing too many MTTs.

yabastid

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty right on. I'd be pushing 11-33s, calling 55s + (though I don't play 109/215), check folding the flop unimproved, or betting any A/K and take it from there.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in BB, second hand of level 1. UTG makes it 100 folded around, 85 to you in BB, whats the play?

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like he has a pocket pair (maybe JJ, TT.) I think most people have trouble folding if you push (and -EV for you against any pocket pair in level 1). Early in the game they're worried about their image if they fold here to your push, and they're angry about losing t100 if they fold. Maybe this is a good place for a stop and go???