Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 07:10 AM

Default Re: A new trick for your arsenal

[ QUOTE ]
This one was just nasty. Check it out.

LP posts. folded to button who raises. The button is very aggressive (pfr 11%) and would probably steal with a fairly wide range of hands. I call from BB with 73h. poster calls.

flop: AA6 rainbow. Zero hearts. Few flops connect with my hand less than this one. It's checked to the button who bets. I call.

Good luck.
Eric

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Eric. I assume your plan on the turn is dependent on the third guy, but if he drops out, you bet any turn? What do you do if the third guy calls flop?

What was your plan when you made the call preflop? Did you plan to try and resteal this pot on certain flops?
Old 07-06-2005, 08:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Eric. I assume your plan on the turn is dependent on the third guy, but if he drops out, you bet any turn? What do you do if the third guy calls flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Give up immediately.

[ QUOTE ]
What was your plan when you made the call preflop? Did you plan to try and resteal this pot on certain flops?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say that I was thinking "I'm definitely gonna make a move on this guy", but yeah, of course I expected to get some value from occassionally stealing and semibluffing the pot away from a reasonable player who I know is open-raising a wide range of hands.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll speculate that your anger is caused by a vague feeling that this play must be horrible poker, but you're frustrated because you can't quite exlain why, so instead you take shots at me, feeling that "discrediting the source" will somehow vindicate you. Close?

[/ QUOTE ]

Far far away. I have repeatedly said why this play sucks without 'discrediting the source' it's just that you kept on relating my 'side wager' to the pot when they aren't related at all.

My side wager was to show that you can't be confident even Kx will fold. If you wouldn't offer me a 4:1 bet that KQ would call, then you understand at least 1 in 5 unknowns will call down with Kx, which massively increases the range of hands that will cost you money.

A,x, 22 - kk, 56 67 68 6q 6k, kq kj kt - k2 will all call you down here. While you are risking 3sb to win a 7sb pot, not 16.

Then you also have the 0.5bb you risk and give up when the bb calls about 30% of the time because he has overcards to the 6.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:36 PM

I am answering my own post instead of yours, Eric only because it was easier to copy the questions from my post. But anyway, here are my answers:

1a. On a river blank if your turn bet on a card that makes a two flush board is called by your opponent;

I would bluff. Pot is now sizeable and I would hate to lose to a ten high busted flush draw.

1b. Same as 1a except the river is an offsuit 3

Checkcall or checkfold. Too opponent dependant to say one way or the other.

2. On a river blank if your turn bet on a card that makes a rainbow board is called by your opponent?

Checkfold. His call on the turn means he ain't folding on the river.

2b. Same as 2a except the river is a 3;

Checkfold.

3. If the turn is a 3 and the river is a blank

I would bet the river if I bet the turn and was called by an aggresive button. One of the reasons given by the others for not making the flop call is that the button may well call you down even with King high. Well, we have the same button player and now I have a pair. Let him call.

I would check the river against a player who would likely check the river back if he had a 6 or a hand like 88.

But overall, when I catch the 3 on the turn, I would likely just checkcall the turn and river. If you bet the turn on a 3, the other guy might smell a "donk bet" and raise you with a no pair hand. Of course, he might do the same in situation 1a or 1b too but there I would have no problem folding as the other guy, if he is bluff raising, in fact is probably doing so with the best hand albeit unknowingly.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:26 PM

I'd have a hard time telling someone who folded your hand on the flop that they had made a mistake.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Could you please explain where you got your 16:3 figure? Actually, I have a better idea, I'll tell you that you're actually getting 7:3 ...

[/ QUOTE ]

You're (almost) absolutely correct. My mistake.

Thanks,
Eric

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, I thought I changed that to 7.5:3...
Old 07-06-2005, 10:14 PM

I like this play a lot better if you have two big cards. Since it's especially unlikely anyone has an Ace you would like to have outs against middle and small pair hands. Here you are pretty much drawing dead to a middle pair.

If we say this play is close to neutral EV the difference between having 6 outs twice and drawing dead could be the difference between making money and losing money with these kind of plays.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This one was just nasty. Check it out.

LP posts. folded to button who raises. The button is very aggressive (pfr 11%) and would probably steal with a fairly wide range of hands. I call from BB with 73h. poster calls.

flop: AA6 rainbow. Zero hearts. Few flops connect with my hand less than this one. It's checked to the button who bets. I call.

Good luck.
Eric

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you do on the turn?

If you check, he checks, then calls the river with any two.

Do you donk bet him and let him raise you off the hand?

I'm confused by this awesome move.

~ Tilts
Old 07-06-2005, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm getting 16:3 on this play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I ask where this number came from, sorry.

EDIT: Just saw 7:3 mentioned. Thats what I was getting too.

Still like the move. As far as the questions being asked on what to do past the turn...it makes it much more intresting if a seven falls.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:20 PM

I think it's less interesting if the river is a 7 because it takes Eric folding out of the equation given teh AA6 flop. that's why I posed my questions with a 3 river.