Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 10:31 PM

Default SB vs BB pre-flop Strategy

Hi,

i mostly play 20/40 to 100/200 shorthanded online. For some days I have tried to figure out a good basic SB vs BB pre-flop strategy when it is folded to the BB. In this case, the BB has the button.

I think having a good basic strategy here is very important as it also constantly applies when the table gets heads-up.

Generally, how many % of hands should you play in the SB vs the BB? Should you go for raise or fold or should you employ a balanced approach of limp, limp reraise and raise?
Old 11-29-2005, 07:25 PM

Default BUMP

bump.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:47 PM

Default Re: SB vs BB pre-flop Strategy

peter_rus has some great posts about this type of situation although they may be geared towards games with more players.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:23 PM

who are you?

the answer to this question depends largely on the BBs standards. If you do not know his standards, I suggest a balanced approach. fold bottom 10-20% of your hands, raise with 50-60%, limp with 15-25%ish and limp reraise with 2-4%ish..
Old 11-29-2005, 08:25 PM

Ah, that sounds great. Do you maybe have a link?
Old 11-29-2005, 08:28 PM

I am not a 2+2 regular. Hm, I've played poker solely online for about 15 months and worked my way up from 0.02/0.04 to 100/200. I love poker theory and have a maths and philosphy degree. My recent shot at 100/200 has triggered lots of new ideas and thoughts, such as this SB vs BB thing.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:31 PM

post more, you seem to have a lot of good things to contribute. welcome.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:33 PM

This is based on the assumption that he folds too much (if not preflop then on the flop or turn) right? Theres just no way it makes sense to be raising more than half your hands heads up and out of position against someone who will notice and defend fairly well. Granted, a LOT of people fold too much in these spots so its a fine assumption.

Against a very tough opponent who will play these heads up pots nearly perfectly, like that computer program that approximates game theoretically optimal play, I think you should probably be folding close to 70%.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:35 PM

Seriously... I don't mean this in ANY WAY to be a flame, but I feel compelled to ask how one comes to play 100/200 short-handed having spent "some days" trying to figure out good blind strategy.

Again, I don't mean this derrogatory at all, but I'm just genuinely curious. Is it common for people to have that kind of disposable income?
Old 11-29-2005, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not a 2+2 regular YET.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed your post.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Seriously, your posts show solid understanding of the game and a well above average ability to articulate your thoughts. Keep posting.