Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-21-2005, 06:20 AM

Default Re: This Ought To Get Some Replies

I should be more clear...I do do a bit of reading on the subject, I put those out as a small example, and rather than stating "the test said I had X" I overstated... "has" sorry... But one of the biggest differences in scores was on the same test (oddly, worse the second time through).... my SAT varried nearly 200 points with no prep in between.... my point is that within a given individual IQ varies quite a bit and that, coupled with the Flynn Effect, IQ and even intelligence in general is way more complex than one might think. And, the Flynn Effect alone shows that any speculations on natural seleciton and IQ are worth very little. Further the fact that there is statistical coralations over cross sections of people who share very little geneticly (ie, "Black" is a heterogenous mixture of European, African, Native American, Indian and even Asian decent) shows that the most likely correct interpretation of this data is that being an underclass in a society has a negative affect on IQ... reread some of Phil's "studies" that he links to, and you will see this strong coralation.... the imigrant Chinese and native Malaysians for example.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:45 AM

Default Typical

The original poster, whom Sklansky is quoting, is confusing racial characteristics with cultural characteristics. Then he concludes that culture is tied to race.

It's all one big, long, very long, fat turd. I've seen longer and fatter turds but I don't bother telling about them enthusiastically on public forums, like Sklansky does!

Of course, Sklansky has a reason to be interested in human manure:

[ QUOTE ]
The busier these forums are, the more money I make.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-21-2005, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Typical

I agree Cyrus,

Race is a meaningless concept, there is no concensus about its meaning. There surely are no scientific definitions for it. Phil, is, in this rare instance, lacking rigour. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And the post which could have been interesting from a cultural viewpoint (ie comparing advanced cultures that have eliminated the death penalty and allow homosexual marriage for instances, against more retarded cultures that do not).

I for one enjoy taking the best of any culture and, as far as as appearnce are concerned, whether the black hair are curly or straight, the eyes, blue, green or brown etc... I like them all and indeed have married a few, much to my delight. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2005, 08:33 AM

In sir Francis Galtons book "Hereditary Genius" He worked very hard at this question. He traveled Africa extensivly in many cases being the first European to have been seen by the various tribes. His data suggested (in shock from the scientific community at the time) was that the disparity among the various tribes was huge. Some tribes being equal or smarter than Europeans and some barly functional. Given that he was a great statistician and scientist (he developed the math for regression to the mean). I suspect he was right.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
... the disparity among the various european tribes was huge. Some tribes being equal or smarter than Africans and some barely functional...

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 12-21-2005, 07:33 PM

I think you raise some valid points ab out African American culture. I think a lot of the problems with African American culture stem directly from the slave culture. Among slaves, a work ethic wasn't much use. No matter how hard a slave worked, he would still be a slave. Also, understandably, slaves who tried to gain an advantage by kissing up to the master were resented. A remnant of that exists today. African Americans who try to be successful in education or business are often accused by their peers of "selling out" or "trying to be white". This resentment may be part of the reason that African Americans don't support businesses run by other African Americans. We need to be careful not to over-generalize or stereotype, but I think you raise some valid points about the culture of African Americans.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:40 PM

its been less than a century since african americans even had rights. they need some time to catch up.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So much to say, so little time.

Race matters.

If you're US educated and under 40 your view is polluted with PC garbage and you will unlikely be able to get past your indoctrination to examine the evidence objectively. If you're a Democrat/liberal you won't be able to address the issue honestly under any circumstances.

[/ QUOTE ]

what the hell do political views have to do with interpreting scientific and statistical evidence? you are from sub-saharan africa aren't you?
Old 12-22-2005, 12:20 AM

Default If someone is physically more gifted...why can\'t one be more mentally

Lets say one race is physically more gifted than another. WHy is it one race cannot be more mentally gifted than another.

I actually don't believe this. It is only really in the USA you see this. This is quite simply because of who was immigrated over to the United States. African Americans were immigrated due to their physical traits and Asian Americans have come over here (especially lately) due to their intellectual capabilities.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:54 AM

Default You\'re doing a fine job Phil153......after all.....

It got DS's attention. Hell, after I posted the original
Hitler reference, I thought I'd be banned from here.
I'm glad it's a fairly open minded site.