Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-25-2005, 07:37 PM

Default Re: The Bible

people have been misinterpreting the bible for hundreds of years. imagine all the misinterpretations of the oral traditions which the bible is based on.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:47 PM

These misinterpretations that you imagine are disproven by fact. The number of bibles that have been made and the uncanny consistency between them even though seperated for a long time shows a very careful and accurate recording of the text from the oral tradition.

"Scholars Norman Geisler and William Nix conclude, the new testament, then, has not only survived in more manuscripts than any other book from antiquity, but it has survived in a purer form than any other great book - a form that is 99.5 percent pure."
Old 12-25-2005, 07:51 PM

Different interpretations are important to read.
The first english bible was very controversial, a lot of people at the time believed that the english language could not capture the wholeness of the message.

This is a qoute from you. Isnt this saying that the bible has been misinterpreted?
Old 12-25-2005, 07:54 PM

oral tradition is also not very accurate. as time goes on things get added, subtracted and even exaggerated.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:29 PM

If you read a written work it will have an effect on you in the region of thought, feeling and will. Being aware that a work can affect you would be the first observation.

The bible, likewise, will do the same, and with this in mind you will obtain the effects of the written word.

Interpretations usually lead to a dogmatic approach to this "living bible". If you see a sculpture of Michaelangelo or a painting by Raphael the effect will be apparent but not necessarily intellectually cognate. See it as a work of art, read, and go on with your life.

This work will certainly enrich your life but be careful to treat it like a book which "tells you" what to do. Treat it like a drink of water, you may not know how the water does it's work, but it certainly will.

carlo
Old 12-25-2005, 10:01 PM

Not at all.
Different languages are structured completely differently. There is only one word for love in english, the same word is used for saying "I love chocolate", "let's make love", "I love you". Other languages contain many more discriptive words than the english language. It was controversial at the time because it was considered a harsh language, not one fit for The Book. Because there were less words, does not mean it was misinterpreted, just interpreted.
Hence the need for different translations.
The largest need for different versions though is because language changes over time. People nowdays need to be able to understand it so it is translated and interpreted very very carefully to be contemporary and relevant to it's readers.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:40 PM

Stat,

FWIW, I have the New American Bible that I like. It has footnotes that help with some of the text.
The footnotes aid in understanding what the text is talking about.* It, also, is less cumbersome than the big red one that most Catholics families (mine included) had - very nice looking book, btw.

You might find the Old Testament a bit tedious - like when I try to read poetry - I don’t get it. The New Testament is an easier read. (I am not sure you shouldn’t read the NT first.) A lot of the OT is considered prophesy to the NT.

Most (not all) priests I know have a good handle on the subject matter. In seminary they are usually taught well. But, just like in any field you will find those who are not very adept.

I’ll try to help with any questions. As far as debate, I hope we don’t get bogged down in the idiosyncrasies of different Christian interpretations. From your point of view, I don’t think the different theologies should matter all that much.

I do agree that one should become acquainted with the text. I have a big list of classical literature that I have yet to tackle, so I understand your quest.

Best of luck and good reading.

RJT

*e.g. Footnote from Genesis chapter 1:5: “…God’s creative activity is divided into six days to teach the sacredness of the Sabbath rest on the seventh day…”
Old 12-25-2005, 11:10 PM

Hiya Lestat,

Seems like a good idea. I have read it from first to lage page twice, and read some excerpts at other times. Some part are really beautiful litterature (The Psalms come to mind). I enjoyed the OT much more, as it was less didactic and more exotic. Some part are unfortunately very boring.. Be weary on the first encouter with the word begat... it tends to go on for a while. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I also have read the Koran, completely as well, and the Bhagavad-Gita, parts of the Vedas, parts of the Bahai's texts and parts of the Buddhist canonical and non canonical writings, as well as a smattering of more minor writings considered of special metaphysical importance by their respective believers.

Yes, I think it is a great journey in the mind of man. I hope you enjoy it, as much as I did.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:15 PM

Here's an... interesting... interpretation of Revelations. I hesitate to recommend it, as it may offend some of you (especially panels 2 and 3 of part 1), but personally I thought it was great.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:39 AM

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Btw- Can you tell me how to attach a link like you just did? I still don't know how to do that, or post a picture.