Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 07-09-2005, 01:50 PM

Default pocket kings-played poorly?

I raised on the flop to gain information (which was stupid since he could easily put me on AK or AQ) and also to get a cheaper showdown. I figured the only hands that would call my river bet were hands that beat mine.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (7 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB
Old 07-09-2005, 02:03 PM

Default Re: pocket kings-played poorly?

I'd play it the same way. No way I'm folding unless villian shows a lot more aggression. And if I'm villian, I'd bet at this flop for information w/ any 6 or a lower PP and slow up when I got raised..
Old 07-09-2005, 02:09 PM

I would play this hand the same way, except I would probably value bet the river since he has shown no aggression. I think it's much more likely SB has a lower pair or hit the 6 on the flop than it is he's holding one of those aces.

Would the river bet be out of order?
Old 07-09-2005, 02:09 PM

Im guessing he had an Ace, hence why you are asking if you played it poorly. I think that this is too results oriented thinking. Folding to one bet on the flop here would be very weak-tight, there's only 2 cards in the deck that give him a higher pair. I'd have played it the same way honestly..
Old 07-09-2005, 02:34 PM

I like the line, if I had AQ I would pry re-raise the flop and see if AK bets out on the turn or caps it. So i think your biggest wory is AJ, Axs since they were boath in the blinds. I would probably check the river as well, tho I supose you could bet again hoping to fold out Ax, tho I would think that if they were going to fold they would have done it on the turn.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:40 PM

once it's HU, i'd just call down. if he's bluffing, keep him bluffing. if he's got trip 6s or the 3rd Ace, you lose the least.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I raised on the flop to gain information...

[/ QUOTE ]
Why? You probably have the best hand.

Betting for information is a concept that should be used rarely. You never do it JUST to get information. I mean if you have 32o in the BB you can bet a flop of AJK to get information, but that would be pretty dumb. You have to do it in conjunction with other reasons.

Here, you correctly raised the flop, but you apparently did it for the wrong reasons. This is a raise for value (mostly).

[ QUOTE ]
I figured the only hands that would call my river bet were hands that beat mine.

[/ QUOTE ]
You mean like J6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]? Seriously, you are good enough often enough here to value bet this river. If the flush draw came after a 2 flush flop I might feel differently.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:09 PM

i like it, why did you think you played it poorly?
Old 07-09-2005, 03:40 PM

The raise on the flop sucks.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The raise on the flop is mandatory.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP.