Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 07:48 PM

Default Need \"Big Picture\" advice

Ok...I've been struggling getting in the money in MTT's (all at PStars)

50 tournaments, 2 final tables (3rd,6th), only a handfull of other ITM finishes. ~15% ITM rate total

I'm not sure what my problem is, nor how to evaluate my play. I get the feeling that strategically I am not going about it the right way.

In general, most tournaments go something like this...slowly build my stack the first hour (2-3000 at the break). Then die during the second hour...most times not making the second break.

I've read TOP, HEPFAP, TPFAP, and SSH

I begin to think that I am perhaps playing too tightly, and make myself too easy to get played with. Perhaps I am taking the "Gap Concept" a bit too far?

In general I'm looking for general strategic advice. (I have HOH vol 1 on order, it should be here this weekend for my reading pleasure)

Also what is an expected ITM rate for a winning player. (I am playing 5,10,and $20 buy-ins at PStars)
Old 06-21-2005, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Need \"Big Picture\" advice

I don't know what the expected ITM rate is for a good player. But, I know if you play to just get ITM your ROI and $/hour are just not going to be that good. All the money is at the final table so you have to "gamble" it up at some point to get some chips.

Typically this means stealing and restealing around the bubble once you have a larger than average stack. If you don't ever get a big stack there is not much you can do but try to hang on.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:19 PM

I keep pumping this post so much it's annoying. But this is the single post I've read on here that has given the most to my game and it deals with issues I suspect you struggle with in the second hour.

http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/...=14&fpart=

For me, it was the next step in the evolution of my game, moving beyond the tighter play suggested in my reading to a more dynamic style of poker, which is by it's very nature harder to play, but has yielded fat, fat dividends. This post plus trying to parse the hands that are posted here and reading the different reasoning of the players has improved my game markedly the last two months.

Could be variance... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hope it helps,

-D.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I keep pumping this post so much it's annoying. But this is the single post I've read on here that has given the most to my game and it deals with issues I suspect you struggle with in the second hour.

http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/...=14&fpart=

For me, it was the next step in the evolution of my game, moving beyond the tighter play suggested in my reading to a more dynamic style of poker, which is by it's very nature harder to play, but has yielded fat, fat dividends. This post plus trying to parse the hands that are posted here and reading the different reasoning of the players has improved my game markedly the last two months.

Could be variance... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hope it helps,

-D.

[/ QUOTE ]

That link should easily help out that anemic ITM rate of 15%.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:55 PM

Thanks for the link. I hadn't found that one yet. It looks quite helpful. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2005, 11:25 PM

LOL!!

Been playing in a $5 MTT (1166 entered).

After reading that thread, and taking a good bit of advice. I started experimenting with the advice there.......

Right now....

Blinds 1500/3000 ante 150

I'm in 6th chip position with 62000
53 players left
Old 06-21-2005, 11:53 PM

finished 23rd

lost
AK vs 44 race